Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Need help choosing a used sled. I'm looking at both a 1998 and a 1999 RMK700, both with 136" tracks.

the 98: very clean, bone stock. has a new 2" paddle track and about 1700 miles

the 99: again very clean, has a few extras like a single aftermarket pipe, boost bottle, and has a clutch kit in it to match the pipe. 2000 miles. Track is missing one lug

These guys are looking for pretty much the same money so I'm looking at them kinda the same way. The big question is: are there any major technical changes from 98 to 99 that would make the 99 more attractive than the 98?

Thanks guys. Great forums you have going here!

Pneuman

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
IMO the first question is do you want a modded sled??

Different Chasis is the major difference. 98 is the indy wedge chasis. Both have basically the same suspension...

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
The 99 is in the GEN II chassis..98 is the indy..I think the motor is pretty much the same, if you are looking for a sled with more performance/newer style id go with the 99 if their the same price.....

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Well I agree with RMK King on this one, newer chassis, and I have heard of fewer problems with the 99....Also I would hardly consider a pipe, clutch kit, and boost bottle to be a "modded sled", just a few goodies that to enhance performance which IMO doesn't altar it's reliability....go with the 99!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
a pipe can affect reliabilty and tuneability. case in point if i put triple pipes on my XLT it certainly would make it less reliable... If you dont like to tinker these "mods" could make the sled more work than a person wanted. It's just me but i wouldnt touch a sled that someone else (besides a reputable shop) put any engine mods on. I dont trust that the guy throwing a pipe and clutch kit on knew what he was doing. That being said it is true that these mods arent major but the sled is still not stock.

[edit} with pipe, clutch kit and boost bottle come carb adjustments which is where bad mistakes can happen.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I would go with the 99, he added a single pipe presumably for weight considerations and maybe a little power but then clutched to match sounds like the guy had at least a basic understanding if not better of what needed to be done. I would check the jetting if you buy it and make note if it is running lean with the jets on the chart and tune from there one jet size at a time. (You might ask if he has done this) Either sled should be a good be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Case in point, A PIPE is not tripple pipes..Now if there was twin pipes then yes there issues, with most manufactures coming out with pipes and cans that require no jetting changes these don't classify as "enginge mods" IMHO....Just like 2000TCMC said, you don't put a single pipe on expecting to get huge power gains, you do it for weight and a little extra performance. But to each his own, I would still buy the 99 if it was me......

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I agree with the above posts..A single pipe doesnt hurt the motor much more then a stock pipe would..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Thanks for the responses, guys! You all have been very helpful in helping me make the decision -I'm leaning towards the 99 at the moment.

If it is any difference, the 99's single pipe is an SLP, so is the boost bottle. The guy took serious good care of the sled, and even wrote the jet numbers on the carbs.

Again thanks. see you on the mountains.[:D]
Pneuman

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Yeah not sure about the 98, but the 99's have a deal called ACCS I believe. There supposed to adjust your carb for altitude automaticly, but are more of a problem then there worth. My advice, rip it out and just jet for riding areas....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Alaskangold,

Thanks for the help so far. I am really curious about the ACCS - it sounds like a really good feature to have. I wonder - do lots of guys have grief with them? Anything that could, for example, cause a meltdown?

cheers
Pneuman

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It a factory product, and it mechanical....two srikes right there. I have heard from tons of people including my dealer( I just took power of attorney on a 99) that there junk. Don't quote me put I think I have heard of people indeed having meltdowns or significant damage from running to lean with these, seems I heard it on another forum whos name we won't mention here! If you really want a realible one, just turn to Holtzman...money well spent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmmm, shoot! Now I'm rethinking on the 1998 RMK. I've always liked the wedge style chassis, having owned several myself.

the fact that it's bone stock is also reassuring to me. Maybe this one's the way to go.

thanks again
Pneuman

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Iv never heard of any problems with the ACCS. I have it but I dont change elavation to much so iv never had a problem..No matter which machine you get holtzmen tampaflow is a good way to go it ya ride in diff elavations alot..

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
If you change elevation a lot go with the ATACC instead of the tempaflow. The ATACC has a built in barametric presure sensor that adjust for altitude. I never rejetted once last year. Jetted it for -20 at sea level and went. Still ran great at 5000' and 40 degrees.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Look as I was saying I have a 99 RMK 700 in my possesion, that I rode a few times last year. Taking the ACCS off is no biggie a couple hoses and your done, also the 98 could have this too... I wouldn't discount the 99 for that reason alone, seems silly to me, either which way I guess you can't really go wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts