Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a year ago a guy was having problems with his 98 600 popping back firing and then stalling. i have the exact same problem, ive heard cdi, stator, fuel, clutching u name it. wondering if there is a diagnosis for the prblem and how to fix. not ridable and sometimes wont even start, if starts idles fine until throttle applied the starts acting up like decribed.

please any help greatly appreciated[confused2]

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My friend has the same sled. His was acting up and it was a few plug ins weren't connecting completly. One being the stator. He replaced the whole wireing harness in the sled and its fine now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
long short of it brought the slrd to the shop, 500 bucks later and new everything but the part i need, it the frickn cdi box

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
My brother has some for sale, used for $150 or brand new in the box for $200

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
carazola said:
long short of it brought the slrd to the shop, 500 bucks later and new everything but the part i need, it the frickn cdi box
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/119329-xc600-cdi

People these boxes fail often......Always find someone that has a comparable sled and swap boxes before re-inventing the wheel. You could check it with a xc 700 box even.

expensive lesson

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got carazolas sled running so its reliable now, 3 pulls and she fires right up. Had a bad CDI, im using one off of a 99 XC600 and the sled is still having some issues. With the machine fully warmed up and at smooth idle if i ease into it she runs fine but if you go straight to wide open throttle it will bog itself out. A repair shop went through and cleaned carbs, replaced jets, installed new plugs and set mix/idle screws so that shouldnt be my issue. Any ideas here?
ps: someone told its common that crank seals go bad on polaris but i'm not aware of the symptoms or how to check those
carazola said:
a year ago a guy was having problems with his 98 600 popping back firing and then stalling. i have the exact same problem, ive heard cdi, stator, fuel, clutching u name it. wondering if there is a diagnosis for the prblem and how to fix. not ridable and sometimes wont even start, if starts idles fine until throttle applied the starts acting up like decribed.

View attachment 2011113123351926_35237.avi
View attachment 201111312371723_35237.avi

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
These sleds are known for the popping and backfiring mainly due to the Keihin carbs. You can either run it richer at lowend or tune for it daily. I carried a small, slim screw driver to adjust the air screws when needed. The Keihins are also sensitive to having the float setting bang on. The float pins wear the holes over time and cause problems. I welded the holes shut and re-drilled them smaller so there was no plat. This is the set-up that worked best for me in WI,U.P., & MN.

#38 pilot jets

6.0 slides (stock XC 7)
(The factory replaced the original 6.5 slides and #45 pilots with 5.5 slides and #38 pilots. I found the 5.5 took too much of the responsiveness away and that the 6.0 slides worked best for me.)

178 mains (for long WOT runs use 182s)

1.5 turns on the air screws
I adjusted these daily with temp changes as the Keihin carbs are very finicky. As little as 1/8 turn makes a big difference.

SLP Power Packs in the carbs (helps low end throttle response)

V-Force reeds (a good improvement on most Polaris big block twin)

Polaris almond/gold primary spring
Polaris 10-60 weights
Polaris R12 helix
HSP orange secondary spring #2 hole

Stock 22/40 gears

Wilwood master cylinder from an AC ZR 600.

3" riser for handle bars

Fox shocks from a 98 XCR 440 all the way around

I also moved (re-drilled) the front torque arm mounting holes in the tunnel up 7/8" (closer to the seat) like 99 and newer Gen II sleds. Better attack angle for the track, smoother ride, and flatter cornering.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
D_shizzle said:
Got carazolas sled running so its reliable now, 3 pulls and she fires right up. Had a bad CDI, im using one off of a 99 XC600 and the sled is still having some issues. With the machine fully warmed up and at smooth idle if i ease into it she runs fine but if you go straight to wide open throttle it will bog itself out. A repair shop went through and cleaned carbs, replaced jets, installed new plugs and set mix/idle screws so that shouldnt be my issue. Any ideas here?
ps: someone told its common that crank seals go bad on polaris but i'm not aware of the symptoms or how to check those
carazola said:

View attachment 2011113123351926_35237.avi
View attachment 201111312371723_35237.avi
thanx for putting these up buddy, hope someone can dial in on er

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wut the f? anyone know what the deal is with the videos

·
Registered
741 Posts
none of the videos ive uploaded work either. try youtube.

and also my 98 xc 600 used to pop and backfire a bit. i put a boost bottle on and it went away

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WAS IT JUST FROM IDLE TO WOT THAT IT ACTED UP, THATS WHAT MINE DOES THEN ITS FINE

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The set-up I posted took me a little time to get to after trying different thing to tune the popping out of the sled. Polaris had an update that changed to richer, 5.5 slides and #38 pilots. The 5.5 pilots helped the popping but hurt the responsiveness of the motor. I found that using 6.0 slides worked better for me.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Ditto on the 6.0 slides, I even put them in our 99 700 XCSP, the 5.5 just seem too rich and as tnmemr stated they don't respond as good, the bottom line with the keihin carbs is this, YOU MUST HAVE PATIENCE, and only make one change at a time and make sure you keep track (take notes) on what air screw adjustments that have been made.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
98700xc said:
Ditto on the 6.0 slides, I even put them in our 99 700 XCSP, the 5.5 just seem too rich and as tnmemr stated they don't respond as good, the bottom line with the keihin carbs is this, YOU MUST HAVE PATIENCE, and only make one change at a time and make sure you keep track (take notes) on what air screw adjustments that have been made.
i had it in the shop, they put new piolet and mains in do you think they went with the update

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
carazola said:
i had it in the shop, they put new piolet and mains in do you think they went with the update
If you didn't ask, they probably didn't. As mentioned in the previous post, I felt that the update ran too rich and took away from the snappiness of the motor. I bought a used set of 98 XC 700 carbs because they came stock with 6.0 slides and it was cheaper than buying new slides. The 6.0 slides along with the # 38 pilots performed well for me. I still had to adjust the air screw daily, but that was no big deal. If you want to set-it and forget-it, run the sled a little richer with the pilot, slide, and air screw combo.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tnmemr said:
carazola said:
If you didn't ask, they probably didn't. As mentioned in the previous post, I felt that the update ran too rich and took away from the snappiness of the motor. I bought a used set of 98 XC 700 carbs because they came stock with 6.0 slides and it was cheaper than buying new slides. The 6.0 slides along with the # 38 pilots performed well for me. I still had to adjust the air screw daily, but that was no big deal. If you want to set-it and forget-it, run the sled a little richer with the pilot, slide, and air screw combo.
so to set and forget do i need to change any of the jet or just adjust whats there

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If it is stock, without the updates, then you will need to richen the low-end calibration of the carb. The update consisted of trading the stock pilots & slides for #38 pilots & 5.5 slides. If you have a dealer do the update, it should take care of the popping. The sled may still pop when the motor is not up to operating temp. I would at times ride with the sled at 1/2 choke for the first couple of minutes when the motor was cold. I'm not certain whether they will do the update free any longer though. I found that the SLP Boost Bottle helped a lot. SLP Power Packs & V-Force reeds made it even better.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tnmemr said:
If it is stock, without the updates, then you will need to richen the low-end calibration of the carb. The update consisted of trading the stock pilots & slides for #38 pilots & 5.5 slides. If you have a dealer do the update, it should take care of the popping. The sled may still pop when the motor is not up to operating temp. I would at times ride with the sled at 1/2 choke for the first couple of minutes when the motor was cold. I'm not certain whether they will do the update free any longer though. I found that the SLP Boost Bottle helped a lot. SLP Power Packs & V-Force reeds made it even better.
so if i richen bottom end will it stop bogging to stall and be able to keep up

·
Registered
1 Posts
carazola said:
tnmemr said:
so if i richen bottom end will it stop bogging to stall and be able to keep up
had the same problem, only when motor was cold, after warmed up would be fine. put in a boost bottle last year, made it worse, finally rebuild from the base gaskets up almost completely fixed the problem, still when its below 10 degrees its poppy when cold but try the exaust gaskets, the exaust in those sleds are picky.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts