Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a few quick questions about the extension. i need a new track for this winter and ive decided that i want to extend my track to a 136 instead of 121. the extension and track install i understand and know how to do but my question will be clutching i kinda need some help on that i will most likly take it to the dealer to have it done but im wondering what to have them clutch it at. im really into hillclimbing and catwalking can anyone help point me in the right direction?? thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I tossed around that idea last year too. I decided it was not worth the extra money to do on my 98 XC6. Well over $500 to do it yourself with new components.

Track: $4-500
Extensions: $100
Tunnel Ext: $100+

Clutching: $100 (weights and spring)

You are tossing money at a sled that's worth about $1000-1300 at the most. And when you are done with the 136", you still have a $1200 sled. If that is the case, I'd just look at a 98-99 700 RMK. I've seen plenty of those on craigs over the years. Resonable prices too.

I don't want to steer you away from doing it, but wanted to let you know the upfront cost of doing it. That's why I didn't bother. I was not convinced that the 136 would ride $700-800 better than 121 for trails. For what you are doing, I'd maybe suggest a 144".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i really am not too worried about the cost and i would do the 98 to 99 rmk but i dont like the body style for some reason i am hooked on the wedge style and im not planning on gettin rid of the sled so im not really worried on how much its worth. just thought i would throw the idea out there and see what some people had in mind or if there were any already done with pics

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Very easily done much cheaper if you buy a good used track and look for deals on other parts.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you are going to bring it to a dealer to get worked on my suggestion is to get some good used parts and bring them to the dealer and just have them do the work not get the parts. If you get some good deals on parts and money is not to much of an issue, it might be a sound investment.
Nice to see some fellow 98 indy xc riders on here as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dtmmil is yours a 136 if so it looks sick and thanks 98indyxc ya know my 98 might not be as fast or handle as good as the newer sleds but there is just something i like about the look of them.

sorry just read your sig didnt realize that was a 144 anyone have any pics of a 136?

·
Registered
192 Posts
ausraxc600 said:
dtmmil is yours a 136 if so it looks sick and thanks 98indyxc ya know my 98 might not be as fast or handle as good as the newer sleds but there is just something i like about the look of them.

sorry just read your sig didnt realize that was a 144 anyone have any pics of a 136?
ausraxc600,

Just did my 03 xcsp over the summer, it was easy and way cheap, you just gotta look for the parts.
I found the track cheap enough that I just went and ordered the slp extension kit from slp.

As far as clutching, I ran grass drags with it after the extension was put on and didn't see a change from runing the 121 on grass and the 136. Maybe it'll be different on snow, but the clutching is actually easier than the extention mod.

Slp had my extension kit for $94.96 I believe and it came with the rail extansions and tunnel extension and all the hardware.
201097201058329_23868.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I bought a used track from a member here for just over $100, and am running a custom built tunnel extension, and the tip up 121-144 rail extensions from tracks usa.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i didnt understand why that guy said it was so expensive the track would be the most the rail extension and tunnel extension is one kit from slp for under 150 and a new track is what im looking at i want to do 1.25 or 1.5 paddles do you know if it would clear my tunnel when i bought the sled the guy had built a custom suspension drop its like 3 inches i think and when i put the rail extensions on should they be in line with the rail or tilted up?

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Slp doesn't make anything that tips up anyway, and they don't extend the hifax like the tracksusa ones do. I don't know if they make a 136 that tips up either, I think its just 144 and longer maybe.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
" i will most likly take it to the dealer to have it done but im wondering what to have them clutch it at"

This is in your first post. Do you mean you'll have the dealer do the clutch only or have them do the whole works? I doubt a dealer is going to search around for deals for you on parts.

Yes, of course if you have the patience and time to piece it together, it can be done cheaper. If you are looking at a new track, that's still a heck of a lot of money to put in it, along with the kit for the extension. You're still looking at $500. The extra 4.5" of footprint is not worth that to me.

Like I said, I was going to do it, I also thought I was going to keep my Xc6 for years. That thought passed after 2 years, and now I have an Edge.

Personally, I don't really care what you do, it's your money.
D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes i meant just have the dealer do the clutch work but now i have a friend tellin me to re gear instead? and yea i understand in another two years i might want to get rid of it but just the way it looks with the suspensin drop brakets it just looks like something is missing. i think it will look more symetrical with the longer track.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Click on people or objects in the photo to tag them. Type any username or tag:

Or choose a person: ausraxc600 (Me)
Luke
97xlt600
dtmmil
MX4life
IndyRXL
polaris1man
Sinkic
Hangman
skyrocket2
pletzracing15

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I do agree that the rear looks a bit droopy with the high CRC front end. Maybe the drop brackets would improve the looks. I'm sure you could find some clutching recommendations for a 136. When I asked if the 136 is worth the money with the M10 rear end, I concluded that is was not worth the hassle of doing it.

200991213331765_5375.jpg
2010424111349925_5375.jpg

The white one is gone and my wife rides the red one. The M10 does raise the back a lot more than the X10.

Most folks agree that the sled itself is one of the best 'older' sleds out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
see mine doesnt have the m10 just the exta10 but the guy has like 3 inch drop brackets on it and the track just looks really short now i would post the pics but i dont know how they are on my profile thought your more then welcome to check them out.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
You can always put the suspension back in the stock location, but if you do go with a 136 go for it, I would recommend clutching over gearing, more bang for the buck, the gearing you have now will most likely be good for the 136. My sled is a 99 xc700 and stock gear for mine is 24-40, I am running a 23-41 now and love it, it takes almost all of the dog leg out of the chain, and it pulls hard all the way through. My wife has a 99 xc600, slp twins on it, clutched, and I have it jetted pretty good, stock gearing in it is 22-40, I wouldn't mind putting the 23-41 in hers either, but mine with the stock pipe, clutched and geared like it is will beat hers any time we try.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ausraxc600 that sled looks formilar! how long have you owned it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
since last september had it about a year now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts