Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 xc 600, rode it for the past few years then last year one night we were out in some deep powder and my entire exhaust pipe got hot enough to melt the side of the belly pan also it pushes gas back into my airbox saturating the filter. so in that i have tried having the carbs cleaned and tuned in, replacing the carb boots, swapping the exhaust silencer thinking it was clogged and other odds and ends have put 500 miles on the sled since it started having problem still runs great just gets hot! Cant figure this out has quite a few stumped help!!!!! please

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would see how hot your exhaust gas temps are. They should be around 1200-1400 in the inside of the header. Now if it is running hot that means that your motor is running lean. Take a look at the reed valves. If the motor is running lean and also spitting fuel out of the carbs it is a good chance that you have an issue with them. Make sure that they are not broken or bent open.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
This exact same thing happened to me last year. Turned out the float needles were on their way out. They were allowing a little raw fuel into the engine, near as I can figure, and it was blowing out the exhaust and apparently burning in the can, making the can red hot. Made the side of my belly pan sag a little from the heat.
Check your needles and if they are worn on the sides and the rubber tip is a little shiny, then thats prob the culprit. Also, check for slop inthe float pin. If its real sloppy then replace the pin with a slightly larger piece of drill bit, or you can buy drill blanks online for cheap. If you do this youll prob need to reset your float height, 16mm, +/-1mm, I think. Theres a few threads on how to do it, or I can walk you through.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts