Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm thinking of freshening up the headlight on my '98 XC 700. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I want a brighter blueish ting light. Looking for some input...

Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
i mean you can out a blue bulb in but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be brighter. To make it brighter you would have to go with a higher watt bulb or some HID's which would be expensive. I have also thought about doing this on my XC

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Me 3.....Im gonna book mark this thread. Ive always wanted too but never got around to looking into it.

Good thread, Im gonna bookmark this one.

·
Registered
222 Posts
hopefully someone else has done this to their wedge or older XC

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I ran higher wattage bulbs in my 98 700. I ended up burning out a few switches and gained very little in sight/distance. Wasn't worth it, unless you want a blue bulb.

·
Registered
222 Posts
xcr440 said:
I ran higher wattage bulbs in my 98 700. I ended up burning out a few switches and gained very little in sight/distance. Wasn't worth it, unless you want a blue bulb.
well thats a big letdown lol. The blue bulb doesn't make it any brighter does it?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I used bulbs similar to these in my 98 XC 600 & 2 - 98 XCR 440s with no trouble. The ones I use are from a different manufacturer but the same 90/100 wattage. I went with the blue coating for a white light. The blue coating cuts down some of the light getting through the bulb, but the whiter light is better for the trails IMO.

http://www.bluhmenterprises.com/products/moto-brite-lites.php?pn_category_id=64

·
Registered
222 Posts
tnmemr said:
I used bulbs similar to these in my 98 XC 600 & 2 - 98 XCR 440s with no trouble. The ones I use are from a different manufacturer but the same 90/100 wattage. I went with the blue coating for a white light. The blue coating cuts down some of the light getting through the bulb, but the whiter light is better for the trails IMO.

Ok thanks! I put some of the Sylvania Bright White's in my car and they are way better than stock. Hopefully i can put something similar into my sled. Is that what you put in tnmemr?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
That's what I used. Melted the plug in on the back of the bulb. On my pro x I melted a few switches and the heat reflectors kept falling out of place. I went back to stock wattages and no issues.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
MN_SlEdnEck said:
tnmemr said:
I used bulbs similar to these in my 98 XC 600 & 2 - 98 XCR 440s with no trouble. The ones I use are from a different manufacturer, but the same 90/100 wattage blue color. I went with the blue coating for a white light. The blue coating cuts down some of the light getting through the bulb, but the whiter light is better for the trails IMO.

Ok thanks! I put some of the Sylvania Bright White's in my car and they are way better than stock. Hopefully i can put something similar into my sled. Is that what you put in tnmemr?
Read the bold. Some of the guys I ride with are using the ones above. Call Bluhm for more, better info. He has been very nice to talk to in the past. From what I have read from other sledder's experiences, is that the Sylvania bulbs don't hold up and are very expensive.

http://www.bluhmenterprises.com/contact.php

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have a xenon bulb for my low beams, hi beams are still stock. The baby blue light is a much higher quality light than yellow light, it is a little brighter, but has really crisp quality. One of the few times I was riding at night and it was snowing hard, the xenon light performed great and the heavy snow didn't impair my sight.
You can see the xenon bulb being reflected in the center lens of my light. The color of the light it gives off is actually more of a very bright white than a blue
2008113091532812_23360.jpg

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
^^^What bulb did you go with Polaris Parts? As in brand and is it an auto application? I like the idea of the nice white light instead of the old yeller.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I've tried GE nighthawks in my vehicles with noticeable (not extreme but better) results. I always thought that if you ran a higher wattage bulb i.e. 90/100W (stock is 55w) you risked having a meltdown of your wiring as xcr440 mentioned?

·
Registered
848 Posts
You could wire up some auxiliary driving lights too.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I put a Xenon bulb in my XLT and it was definately a brighter, whiter light than the stock bulb of the same wattage. That's about all you can do with the single headlight on the wedge- the reflector size and design limits how much light it can project. You can get these in blue tint as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
haha yeah some KC daylighters

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
whitexc said:
^^^What bulb did you go with Polaris Parts? As in brand and is it an auto application? I like the idea of the nice white light instead of the old yeller.
I don't know, I acquired the bulb from a parts sled. I'll try my best to remember to take a look at any markings on it when I get home in two weeks and I'll get back to you

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
CanadianXCR said:
I've tried GE nighthawks in my vehicles with noticeable (not extreme but better) results. I always thought that if you ran a higher wattage bulb i.e. 90/100W (stock is 55w) you risked having a meltdown of your wiring as xcr440 mentioned?
We haven't had any issues with our wedge sleds. Wires, connections, & switches are all good. A buddy with an Edge was using an 80/100 set with no issues. He seldom uses the high beams. The HID would be great if there was a good way to install them without a battery on the wedge.

Polaris_Parts_MN,
On the handguards. Check these out. I have a pair of the Pro model and a pair of the trail model. The pros are all you need IMO.
http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/snowmobileproductah/handguards.html

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
A higher quality bulb like a PIAA Bright White will get you better light, but bumping up wattage and everything there is a risk of melting stuff. Blue "zenon" bulbs are basically just coated with blue paint, no real advantage to any of them.

Only way to increase beam distance and effectiveness is to upgrade the housing: different reflector and lens. Otherwise you're just putting bulbs in with different light filters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts