Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just bought a 98 polaris xc 700 it has 700miles on it,i put about 190miles on it,anyways i was riding and all the sudden it just started to bog down really bad and it just sounds horrible and theres very little power to it, and i shut it off and started back up and ran no problem for about 2 or so minutes and started to bog out again, i changed the plugs and i also know the radaitor cap was leaking a little, has anyone had a problem like this. could have something gotten wet from coolant or any ideas?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Check your compression. What do your spark plugs look like? That is the first thing to do. White = lean and bad, brown = good, black = rich. If it is lean then you probably burned some stuff up and you should not be runing it to prevent further damage.
Did your temp light come on? Odds are your not over heating it from a cooling problem but its possible.
I could be it leaned out, starved for oil or fuel, Flooded with to much fuel, stuck choke, over heated, there are lots of possiblities.
Before you can get any real help though more info is needed.

Check the plugs

·
Registered
31 Posts
check your compression its sounding to me like u might have got bad gaz maybee u blew it up or maybee its a voltage prob check compression 1st thing

·
Registered
104 Posts
i own the same sled and just had a simalar problem.I had good compression and the plugs looked good .so i had it in a heated garage for the night and added dry gas to it.i took it out today and it ran fine.maybe that will help your sled.a place to start maybe anyway.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by Polarisdiesel
[br]the plugs are brown, the temp light has never came on.
well does it bog all the time or just to get it going?it could be warn clutches? mines started kinda the same but run good as long as i dont come to a full stop. i was thinging fuel. water in there /fat jets. but now i think my clucth needs a rebiuld cus i can smell it when it bogs out but after i get it going a coulpe of feet past the engagement .bamm it rips .. any way we need more info on yours before we can point fingers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i replaced all the gas and add a little dry gas, took it out for about 10 minutes to get it warmed up ran good no loss of power or bogged, got on it a lil, then took off down the road and about another 10 minutes when i got on it in a field to hold it down bogged down at about 45-50 id say and then rode it back with it bog down the way back, it feels like it wants to gos, then sometimes it will run good if it idles for a second or shut off for a second, then it will rip good for a for 100 yards then bogs down bad and loss of total power with horrible noise

·
Registered
700 Posts
Does it roll over easy with the rope?
What kind of noise?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Check that a mouse hasn't built a nest in you air box. Happened to me once and the sled bogged bad when it got warm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My past sled, a 97' 500 Carb, did the same exact thing. No one could figure it out.........even our local dealership. Turned out the jackshaft bearing seized up, but kept releasing when it cooled down. I could run for about an hour, and it ran great, then all of a sudden it bog down and barely move (15-20mph) full throttle gasping for air. Then when it let go......IT LET GO!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
My 99 500 XC had a similar problem when I got it. It would foul plugs, backfire, and had a terrible bog at engagement and no power afterward. I drained the carbs, drained the tank and replaced with new non oxygenated fuel, added iso and stabilizer to the new gas, changed plugs and readjusted the cam adjustment for the secondary, as the belt was too tight. Even with all of that, it seemed to run poor upon initial startup and then after riding for about 20 minutes, it cleared out. It probably takes a while to remove the residual moisture. Haven't had any problems since. . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update, I brought it in to get checked out ended up being a line in the gas tank was rotting away from not being ridin in a few years, so that solves everything, Thanks for every ones help!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts