Snowmobile Fanatics banner

98 XC 700 questions

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  TommyBoy68 
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]Only main area is the water/oil pump belt behind the recoil. You lose the belt you lose all oil. No more will be pumped.
Funny you mention this as I was just reading about the water/oil pump belt failure on snowest and bookmarked a page to a guy selling Gates designed Kevlar ones that are 2x as strong as stock. Link here:
http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=202064&arctab=arc&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear
The post is from last year so I don't know if he still has them or not, you'd have to PM him. I should probably pick one up too if I get a chance to make it out this year as even though I've only got 1,010 miles on my sled, it is an 8 year old belt. As far as your sled goes, the 98' XC's are beasts. Though you will get your butt spanked off the line and on the top end by the newer stuff you'll do well at beating up on the newer sleds a bit while riding. Unless you dump some heavy mods on it. If you're shocks have never been rebuilt, completely go through the system and rebuild them. Blown shocks will lead to a completely miserable ride and could end you're riding season early due to not wanting to get beat around anymore/ lag in downtime to get them rebuilt/ or damage to other more expensive components. Ask me how I know. Rebuild your shocks, get a few spare spark plugs and change them every 400 miles, throw an Ultimax belt on, stud the track, make sure you've got good carbides on the front, and you'll be good to go for a fun winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.