Snowmobile Fanatics banner

98 XC 700 questions

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  TommyBoy68 
#1 ·
I just bought a 98 XC 700 and I dont know anything about Polaris sleds. IT has high miles but was rebuilt crank up 200 miles ago, and I would like to know what to look for for problems, and it is bone stock so what can I do to make this a great trail sled.? It has a new track with no studs, plastic skis and the shocks have never been redone to my kowlege. I have also never had the carbs on a polaris appart are they different than a Makunie carb?
This is the sled
[attachment=51461]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
They are different but fairly simular. They are keihns. Alot of dirtbikes used them. Only main area is the water/oil pump belt behind the recoil. You lose the belt you lose all oil. No more will be pumped.

Other than that they are a rock sled sled.

I can give you some set up also. Let me know.

#4 ·
You have to remove the pipe and silencer and then just remove the recoil cover. No need to remove the pump. Then change out the belt.

[attachment=18610]

Attachments

#8 ·
If you need original stock parts for that sled yuo can go to partsland.com and then just look up your sled. I have an 98xc700 as well. GReat sled. Been great to me so far. Ive redone my clutch to give it a little extra zip and it has worked out well so far. I also put in v-force 3 reeds. Those helped alot with the throttle response.IF you want to make it a good trail sled I would suggest that you rebuild both front and back shocks. I havent redone my shocks but wish i had the money because they are shot. Put on a 4 inch riser with handguards too. If you have any other questtions just ask. Ill try to post some pics soon. You should be pleased witht hat sled!

#9 ·
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]Only main area is the water/oil pump belt behind the recoil. You lose the belt you lose all oil. No more will be pumped.
Funny you mention this as I was just reading about the water/oil pump belt failure on snowest and bookmarked a page to a guy selling Gates designed Kevlar ones that are 2x as strong as stock. Link here:
http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=202064&arctab=arc&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear
The post is from last year so I don't know if he still has them or not, you'd have to PM him. I should probably pick one up too if I get a chance to make it out this year as even though I've only got 1,010 miles on my sled, it is an 8 year old belt. As far as your sled goes, the 98' XC's are beasts. Though you will get your butt spanked off the line and on the top end by the newer stuff you'll do well at beating up on the newer sleds a bit while riding. Unless you dump some heavy mods on it. If you're shocks have never been rebuilt, completely go through the system and rebuild them. Blown shocks will lead to a completely miserable ride and could end you're riding season early due to not wanting to get beat around anymore/ lag in downtime to get them rebuilt/ or damage to other more expensive components. Ask me how I know. Rebuild your shocks, get a few spare spark plugs and change them every 400 miles, throw an Ultimax belt on, stud the track, make sure you've got good carbides on the front, and you'll be good to go for a fun winter.

#10 ·
Guy over at hcs is selling them also. $40 shipped I beleive, I guess they are made by gates.

#11 ·
Guy over at hcs is selling them also. $40 shipped I beleive, I guess they are made by gates.

No need to change your plugs every 400 miles. I have ran plugs for 3 years in mine and it was as quick on the clock as the day I first played with the clutching.

#13 ·
You've got one hell of a sled on your hands be sure to hang on and ride hard. as far as great trail sled just clutch it and if you have the 824 cylinders jet down the main jets to 182/182 they were rich from factory.

#14 ·
I ran mine with 180's.

#15 ·
I had a 98 XC 700 with 220 jugs. It was a GREAT sled for me. Here are a couple things I did with mine, and I recommend for yours. Put Fox shocks in the rear skid (the Ryde FX from the factory are junk), rebuild the front Fox shocks, EPI clutch kit, remove the airbox shelf, jet 180's or even 178's on warmer days, HSP boost bottle and check the rear skid for cracks and breaks. I had to weld my rear skid a couple times because of cracks. Good luck

#16 ·
Originally posted by DITCH-BANGER
[br]I had a 98 XC 700 with 220 jugs. It was a GREAT sled for me. Here are a couple things I did with mine, and I recommend for yours. Put Fox shocks in the rear skid (the Ryde FX from the factory are junk), rebuild the front Fox shocks, EPI clutch kit, remove the airbox shelf, jet 180's or even 178's on warmer days, HSP boost bottle and check the rear skid for cracks and breaks. I had to weld my rear skid a couple times because of cracks. Good luck
You must be a good welder, as I've never even noticed those repairs, LOL!!!!!! Or maybe I should have less cold beverages when I'm wrenching on that thing?!?!? [:0]

Haven't even had a chance to wake the 'ol machine from it's summer hibernation yet. Still going strong, though. Needing shocks rebuilt before I get it out this year. And the seat cover finally tore thru for me last February, on that wicked cold weekend. Either need to replace that, or find someone good to repair the split seam. [:(]

#17 ·
Originally posted by TommyBoy68
[br]
[br]I had a 98 XC 700 with 220 jugs. It was a GREAT sled for me. Here are a couple things I did with mine, and I recommend for yours. Put Fox shocks in the rear skid (the Ryde FX from the factory are junk), rebuild the front Fox shocks, EPI clutch kit, remove the airbox shelf, jet 180's or even 178's on warmer days, HSP boost bottle and check the rear skid for cracks and breaks. I had to weld my rear skid a couple times because of cracks. Good luck

You must be a good welder, as I've never even noticed those repairs, LOL!!!!!! Or maybe I should have less cold beverages when I'm wrenching on that thing?!?!? [:0]

Haven't even had a chance to wake the 'ol machine from it's summer hibernation yet. Still going strong, though. Needing shocks rebuilt before I get it out this year. And the seat cover finally tore thru for me last February, on that wicked cold weekend. Either need to replace that, or find someone good to repair the split seam. [:(]
TOMS, glad to hear the 98 is treating you well. If I must tell. . . the welds are where the adjustable limiter strap connects to the torque arm, and at the connection point to the slide rail.[;)]

So when are you and Kirko gona go for a weekend trip with us? How about the SF ride? I want to ride my 98 again.

#18 ·

So when are you and Kirko gona go for a weekend trip with us? How about the SF ride? I want to ride my 98 again.
I hope we can find time for some sort of ride or another with ya. He and I usually try and get a couple trips up north. We'll see if our schedules all match up at all.

Yeah, I'd let ya back on the '98. Then I'd get to ride your new one, LOL!!!!

#19 ·
Thanks for all the infp guys. I have alrady got fox shocks in the rear skid. two of them, side by side. And the front are being rebuilt this week. I did find that the inner half of my clutch has some hairline cracks, I guess Ill need to replace that before something happens. Oh well, we dont even have snow yet anyways....
I do plan on a clutch kit, boost bottle, re-jetting down, 144 picks, and I just got a red skidplate and a longer red brake lever by bj hooker.

#20 ·
Sounds like you're going to be all set then. I think once you add those things, it should keep a smile on your face when you get on it. And none of those is too radical, shouldn't cause any reliability issues. Good luck with it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.