Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new water pump belt for my 98 xc 700. The direction sheet that comes with the belt says that the max belt deflection between the pulleys should be no greater then 1/4". Then it states if the deflection is greater then that to return the belt. Well, this belt I got has 5/16" deflection. Just curious if anyone else has run into this on these 98 xc relpacement belts? If so did you return the belt and try another one or did you just run it? I'm nervous about it being that it also runs the oil pump.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
When replacing that belt I took 4 of them home and used the 1 that fit best. It sucks, but with no way to adjust you are at the mercy of the belt manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
X2, better to be safe than sorry, they should take it back, because that is what the directions say.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hummm I put on a belt that we found was the same thing as a polris belt but at only like 10 bucks. I my self have put three of thes belts on and not a one was loose. Never heard of this but it very well could be true and like the others have said dont just take one home take five or so home and get the best.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
scrapiron said:
HM, I replaced mine with a custom kevlar belt offered by a guy on snowest a couple of years ago and it fit perfectly.
I got mine from the same guy on hcs. Was on the tight side of the spec but works great.

I ment to + but hit the -. Sorry.

A buddy used to work at a polaris dealership said they normally went through 4 to get 1 that was right. Remember they will stretch a bit so I would take it back and find some that are on the tight side.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
It's a cogged belt not a V like the 600's and 650's had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts