Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my 98 xcr 440 home last night, warmed it and made 2 runs in the field and she went tight. pulled it in the shop and looked in the plug hole and noticed that something was rattling around in the cylinder, pulled off the top end and found that the rod bearing was fried out of the bottom end and had thrown some debris into the cylinder slightly scratching it. At this point I'm debating what to do fix, or part out. I just spent 1300 on the sled and now it needs crank and rod work, at least one piston and least a hone in one cylinder. Do I rebuild and possibly mod or look for a used motor? The sled is in great shape otherwise, Looking for direction, Jeff

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
check for motors on e-bay....I think there is 1 or 2 that can be had for 5-7 hundred....If you part out I would be interested in the CDI/COIL. You can go prox 440 style motor as well and use the electrics off your 98....I did it and it is a awesome ride

·
Registered
252 Posts
u cant hone the cylinders there not cast iron there nicoxil and i just got my cylinders redone and its cost 300 a hole and pistons and rings and complete gasket set comes up around 1000 thats canadian i would just look for a pro-x 440 motor i found one down here for 350 with everything

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
if the sled is in excellent shape, then i suggest spending the money and fixing it. If the sled is a litte rough or money is tight then parting it out would get you most of your money back maybe even more. PM me if you want to sell the engine as is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by CanadianXCR
[br]if the sled is in excellent shape, then i suggest spending the money and fixing it. If the sled is a litte rough or money is tight then parting it out would get you most of your money back maybe even more. PM me if you want to sell the engine as is.
The sled is in very good shape, right now I'm trying to find out the best route to go for the crank repair, and where to buy the parts as reasonable as possible.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I seen a engine on ebay..not sure if its still there for cheap and brand new basically. By the sounds of it spend the money and look around and get the engine back to where it should be. It may take time but I'm sure you'll find what you need.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Many guys bought 440 pro x Edge sleds to drop 800 ves engines in them,,used 440 pro x motors a couple of years ago were very common. I haven't paid much attention lately. I've seen complete 440 pro x running motors sold for 150.00

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by dodger
[br]Many guys bought 440 pro x Edge sleds to drop 800 ves engines in them,,used 440 pro x motors a couple of years ago were very common. I haven't paid much attention lately. I've seen complete 440 pro x running motors sold for 150.00
Whats the difference between the pro x motor and the 98 motor, did I mention that I just bought the sled the same night as it blew up! talk about disappointing.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Originally posted by wisxcr440
[br]
Whats the difference between the pro x motor and the 98 motor, did I mention that I just bought the sled the same night as it blew up! talk about disappointing.
Biggest change was the change in ves in 01 or 02. There were other things they changed but the basic motor is the same.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
there's a brand new IQ 440 motor on either sno west or HCS for $500 including everything, clutches, carbs, pipe, all electrical...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
i wonder if the IQ motor will work with the stock electrical? I would just try to find the best pricing on parts instead of buying a used engine that could possibly grenade again. At least you'll know what you've got if you rebuild it right.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by XCR5
[br]Is this the same 98 XCR440 Jucbag was selling in the classified section here?
Yes it is the same sled doushebag was selling, after getting it all apart found that the rod bearing was fried and the crank bearing on the mag side was rough, I should have taken more time looking it over be4 buying. And I agree with you Canadianxcr, Im gonna rebuild and then I will know what I have. At this point it looks like one rod and bearings, piston kits for both cyl. crank bearings and seals and gaskets, I will definately have to keep it after sticking all this money into it, should be a great sled after all this.

·
Registered
482 Posts
new motor will be cheaper and easier, plus you can sell your old parts that still have value. people even pay to get blown cranks. Ebay is where its at.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Rebuild it, because your right, you will know what you have into it.

thehawk, I bet your XCR spanks your ZR huh.[:D]

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've never had them head to head actually. I've only owned both since the end of last season, I rode the ZR one weekend, and the XCR the other. This year I got the ZR out for 1 trip, only 1 unfortunately. We have some big plans in feb, and both sleds are going, so we shall see. The cat tops out at 103 on the speedo, the XCR did 95 on the old pistons, Ive since put in new ones but havent rhomped on it yet, soon though. Both are pretty quick off the line, it will be interesting.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My money is on the XCR. A buddy of mine used to have a 98 ZR 500 like yours, and I had my 440. We never raced them, but my buddy took my 440 for a ride and wished he would have found one one of these instead of his 500. Also if I remember right that 500 of yours doesnt even have exhaust valves, your AC will get smoked if this is the case.

·
Registered
482 Posts
yeah no exhaust valves on the 500 cat, but its got an EPI clutch kit and unknown brand twin pipes 121 studs. The xcr has 144 studs and a cat track on it, the original had a huge tear out. this weekend both sleds are going to WI. The cat might burn up though if its gonna be like -10 cuz its got stock jets with twin pipes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Price out the rebuild first then compare to the cost of a used motor and shipping. It might be better to spend 600 on a build and know you have all new parts, fresh rings, etc then spend 400 on some ebay motor and have no idea what condition it is in.

I had a broken skirt in my 97 storm a month ago. The crankshaft ground up the aluminum chunk and threw it up into the cylinder (engine actually didn't die when the skirt broke, it continued to run). I had both center main bearings and the rod bearing replaced, replaced the whole center cylinder with a good used one (since I didn't want to replate the nikasil), and did a full top end rebuild with new upper bearings, honing, piston kits, gaskets, the works, even replaces the crank seals, all for under $600. That's cheaper than used motors were going for on eBay and I have basicly a brand new engine!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts