Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best place to buy parts to fix one hole on a 98xcr 440?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I usually get my parts from denniskirk or a partsunlimited dealer.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
When you remove the topend try not to damage the 0-rings. If one of them comes out it maybe be hard t put back in. I say this cause if you can keep them in they will be fine to use again...they arn't the cheapest things. You scuffed a piston correct? Get the OEM piston for it, if you get 1 wiseco or aftermarket and 1 oem if still in it, it will be off balance I would think. Just some food for thought..I hope to get mine back together this weekend...piston kit should be here tomorrow :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by XCR4403X
[br]When you remove the topend try not to damage the 0-rings. If one of them comes out it maybe be hard t put back in. I say this cause if you can keep them in they will be fine to use again...they arn't the cheapest things. You scuffed a piston correct? Get the OEM piston for it, if you get 1 wiseco or aftermarket and 1 oem if still in it, it will be off balance I would think. Just some food for thought..I hope to get mine back together this weekend...piston kit should be here tomorrow :)
Thats a good point. I hadnt thought of that and your probably correct. Each manufacturer is going to have at least a slight difference in design and weight.

Did you end up with any coolant in the engine? I did. I dumped it out but was thinking of flushing it with gas or something.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I never had any coolant in the engine. Just pulled the coolant hose that leads into the bottom on the crank case in the front and let it all out. Then I removed the hose leading to the head. But yes...if you are going to replace the piston...either get a OEM or a Wiseco Pro-lite kit. I know there are gaskits w/ the kit, from Royal Distributing in Canada anyways, and I think they are kimpex...IMO I would purchase Polaris gaskits. I just bought 2 base gaskits and they cost me like $10 each I think and they will be closer to spec. I used kimpex 0-Rings and ending up getting towed back about 1hr later cause they rotted on me.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I will also add when you rebuild it, to apply oil to the cylinder wall before you place it back on. You will also want to run 1 tank of premix also with the oil injection. You can use whatever oil you use regularly or I have also read that people use humm... TC-W3?? oil with the gas. Usually run it like you would regularly drive it and also hard but in short bursts..don't try and holding it wide open for a long period untill you burn the first tank of gas.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Jesus murphy, two men down! I haven't been around in a while and I come back to find out two red rocket owners have popped pistons? Whats the story guys? As far as pistons go, if it were me I would replace it with OEM pistons, or if doing both, then maybe go with SPX or Seize-co..Stay the hell away from Kimpex pistons, or anything for that matter! Winderosa gaskets are the best (they are the OE to Polaris), even Wiseco gaskets have failed me in the past. Make sure to check the Nicasil on the jugs before reassembly. Do it once, do it right [;)]

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Yes...I should add if you replace it to use a honer. Or if not emmory cloth..maybe 400grit. Apply TC-W3 oil and do a few passes with it, this will allow of the new rings to set better, then wash the cylinder in sopey hot water. Re-apply TC-W3 to the cylinder wall, and install. Also mix TC-W3 for your first tank. My Wiseco kit came with Comesitic?(sp) gaskits..they seemd to be very similar to the Polaris base gaskits and clam their o-rings are to spec..I still used the old Polaris o-rings in mine just incase. Speaking of which...work from 2-10:30am with the RCMP today...goto wrench on the sled from around 12pm to about 8pm. Put the new kit it...dropped the engine back in and all that racket. PLans to break the engine back in tonight with my buddy that is home from school. Only to have the sled overheat again...I bleed the system. Removed the hose from the brake to the head and filled it up that way, jacked the front of the sled up in the air and it will still overheat on me..no f'en idea why. Blew into the resovior..played with the bleeder screw 10x. Even my bro in law never seen anything like that before. You can pump the gas and the coolant will flow but I dunno. I played with it for 15min and said I had enough, I'm just burnt out from a long day. The heat exchangers don't even get warm? 5min of idle and I have to kill the engine. Just exhuasted...I'll look at it maybe tomorrow or into the end of next week. Suppose to have hillclimbs soon so..gotta get er broken in. Also...I took a compression test..Im not sure if it is accurate but it was only showing 120psi in both cyl..I thought they are suppose to have 150psi. Maybe its the tester or the head I have on is for a 99..but I thought the engines were the same anyways?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a guy look at the jug today. Its toast too. I am going to part the motor out and buy something else.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Just wondering as to why you would do that? Rebuild it and you know exactly what you have.
Never know what you'll get buying another motor to throw in.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
my thoughts exactly! It makes absolutely no sense to buy a used motor that you have no idea whether its tired or still good, go through all the hassle of putting it in and have the possibility of blowing it shortly after and still end up in the same boat, now even in greater debt. Rebuild what you have, do it properly, and it will give you a better reassurance knowing what you have. Replacing a jug and a piston are probably cheaper than buying a used motor anyways. XCR4403X, as far as compression goes, different testers will give different readings...I have one tester that gives me about 130psi per jug on my XCR, and my buddies tester gives it 145psi per jug so dont sweat it.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Part it out!! So I take it the jug had deep marks in it?? You can get tho'se cylinders replated back to factory spec. Thats what I would do and I think thats what you should do. But if you still plan on parting it out..let me know how much you would want for the whole engine. BUt I think you should get that cylinder fixed. Could you get a pic of the jug for us to see please?

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
If parting out I need a hood and seatcover or seat.

I would send cylinder to millenium tech to have it replated.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
not sure how much it would cost stateside to get the jug replated, but i know of a shop that has a straight up exchange program here in Ontario. I know that they have 1 replated cyl in stock for the 440 XCR (98). They are $350 cdn with your core. 1 year warranty on the jug. If you are intertested call 1-800-465-5668. Get some pics up and show us the damage.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can get the jug fixed for $175.00. Takes a month to get it back. Throw in at least another $200 in the mix for a piston kit and I am looking at at least $400.00 total for the rebuild to do it right.

The problem with the cylinder isnt easy to see. I didnt see it myself until I had a tech point it out to me. Its just to the right of the exhaust port and not very deep. I could probably throw a piston in it and run it.

Mag side
[attachment=29738][attachment=29740]

Why am I think of selling? Methinks I can get $400.00 for my motor, carbs,electrics and primary as the remaining is believed to be fine. 400 + 400 = 800.

For $800.00 I should be able to get an 01-03 500-700cc drivetrain.

The pto side
[attachment=29739]

·
Registered
486 Posts
i just bought a 97 xcr 440 and my dad works for polaris. he checked on the motor parts for mine incase something happend and they are obsolet polaris dont carry any of the motor parts. i'm having problems with mine in top speed. it has an m-10 but it tops out at 45 mph and 8300 rpm and everything is stock.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Polaris changed alot of sizes of parts on the 97's. You can get the parts for the 98's and bolt on.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
personally i would fix what you have for the price..Doing a bastardized hybrid doesn't always work out as planned, plus, you never know what you are gonna get into engine wise, plus is lowers the resale value of the sled later on. Do it once, do it right, you will soon forget it happened. Good luck with whichever route you take, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by ProXR racer
[br]i just bought a 97 xcr 440 and my dad works for polaris. he checked on the motor parts for mine incase something happend and they are obsolet polaris dont carry any of the motor parts. i'm having problems with mine in top speed. it has an m-10 but it tops out at 45 mph and 8300 rpm and everything is stock.
What does he do for polaris in NY.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts