Snowmobile Fanatics banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Originally posted by CanadianXCR
[br]personally i would fix what you have for the price..Doing a bastardized hybrid doesn't always work out as planned, plus, you never know what you are gonna get into engine wise, plus is lowers the resale value of the sled later on. Do it once, do it right, you will soon forget it happened. Good luck with whichever route you take, let us know how it goes.
BINGO!! My thoughts exactly. For $500 you should be able to fix the cyl, 2 new pistons, crank seals and gasket set. Then you essentially have a new motor. Spend $800 and you are getting a used motor that you don't know the history of and how it was taken care of. If you are thinking you want to do a motor swap for a bigger cc, you might as well just part the whole sled out and buy one you want.
JMHO.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Here is a piston kit including the top end gasket set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLARIS-XCR440-WISECO-PISTON-KIT-STD-BORE-98-99_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ100456QQitemZ4592136637QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Here is a new sleeve. Note Cyl has to be bored for this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLARIS-440-INDY-XCR-WISECO-CYLINDER-SLEEVE-98-99_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ100456QQitemZ4592147533QQrdZ1

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Hard to tell by that pic. I mean..if you scuffed it, you will get what looks like marks in it but its not. But if you can feel groves into the material I would get it replated. But if it feels smooth but looks like that...apply some TC-W3 oil and take a honer and do a couple of passes and it should clean it up some. When mine scuffed the cylinder looked like it had marks in it but it was just residu from it. Took the oil and a honer couple of passes and it cleaned it up. Good luck with what ever you do. But if you decide not to rebuild it..pm me a price for the engine.

·
Registered
486 Posts
he sells polaris snowmobiles and polaris parts.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Well then he doesn't "work" for polaris he is a dealer. Big difference.

zrx, whats the verdict on the sled, which way you going.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Rebuild, rebuild, rebuild!!! come on Pilot[:D] keep the 440 alive!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
No no...no rebuild. Sell XCR4403x the engine!!! I will make a nice improver out of that sucker. Only joking man...rebuild that puppy.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Pilot, if you are thinking of rebuilding it I know a guy close by with a brand new cyl and piston for the 440 if you are interested. I can give you his number if you like.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Originally posted by CanadianXCR
[br]Pilot, if you are thinking of rebuilding it I know a guy close by with a brand new cyl and piston for the 440 if you are interested. I can give you his number if you like.
I would be interested in the package if its reasonable. Ive had alot on my plate these days, no time to get back to it. My e-mail address is [email protected] Feel free to pass it to him.

Thanks for the efforts bud, its appreciated. Thanks to everyone.

Pilot

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I will give him a call when he gets back in town. I will PM you in the next few days. Hopefully he'll be reasonable on the prices.

·
Registered
61 Posts
so now with the new 440, what are you doing with this one? I will be looking hard later this year, maybe if you still had it I would consider grabbing it if the price was right :)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Originally posted by eric03viperguy
[br]so now with the new 440, what are you doing with this one? I will be looking hard later this year, maybe if you still had it I would consider grabbing it if the price was right :)
I think he is keeping it but putting another engine in it!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ultimatly buying a non-ves 700 powerplant would be my top choice. Even that comes with a dillehma. Ive allready got a xc700 that rocks. Aint much difference between the chassis on my 00' 700 than the xcr. Some solution will present itself. What I wont do is part it out. Thought about it but couldnt do it. Felt like putting down a dog you have had for years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
well if you decide to sell look me up and send a pm, might be interested if it is for sale at the right time and for the right price. anytime after june would be good, getting married on the 25th of june. I am not allowed to spend till after the wedding lol! like I said before, there is that place that rebuilds motors and sells them as a whole with a core charge. then you would have 2. can never have too many ;)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Found a cylinder and used piston in good shape from some guy I tripped on at e-bay. Cost me a $100.00. Got a deal on a set of new Cometic top end gaskets for 5.00 plus shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4630963993&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Looks like I am going to put the old motor back together after all. Should have it up and running in a couple weeks if the ongoing projects on the new sled dont get in my way.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Nice find man. Great price.[^]

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Too many toys. Ive got a fairly high reserve on it. If it goes, it goes.

The latest issue with the piston that wouldnt fit was depressing.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Might not of been the correct piston for it. Thats to bad man.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts