Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying my next sled...ever since I saw P-mans 440 I became fixed on getting one. I've finally found one but have a few questions before hand. Are there any specific areas/parts I should look over with a fine tooth comb? Are there any commom problems with this model? What would be a good compression reading? And please add anything else I should know
One last thing...this one doesn't have a torson bar, how much of a pain in the buttox is it to reinstall? Thanks

Win if you can...
Loose if you must...
But NEVER stop trying!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I know that the torsion bar can't be that hard to reinstall I think Pman had his out for a bit.

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Check suspension rails, check clutches, compression, mine was 120 on both cyls, the torsion bar is kind of a pain but not a big deal. I dunno what else. Track, check chain tension, brake operation, stuff like that.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Pman...since you had one you'd know of any commom problems, seems there are none! Cool

Win if you can...
Loose if you must...
But NEVER stop trying!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Only problem I ever had with mine was issues with idle, but who drives at idle?

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
huh...idle?? whats that

-------------
FOR SALE: 91 Polaris Indy 500 SP...check my profile for more info and pictures

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
When you start the machine and want it to warm up while u stand in the house gathering money or something. my Pro X idles very nicely

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I agree with everything P-man said. Except mine idles just fine.....

My 440 has been very reliable and is a real joy to drive.
I've never really had any problems with this machine. There is one minor glitch. The rubber guilotine boot on the VES has a tendency to tear over time, so the next time you clean your exhaust valves check the boot for any cracks. If it's leaky, there will be a bit of oil dripping off the plastic cover over the valves. The engine may feel sluggish if the valve won't open up. It's easy to check and easy to fix. Just replace the boot.

Being this is a race sled, the exhaust pipe NEEDS to be hot for this thing to really fly. Like P-man said, start it up, and go sit in the house and eat a cookie, because it doesn't like to move when the engine is cold. A few minutes later and she's ready to fly. No big deal, i usually warm up all my sleds.

These are just minor things. I love riding my sled. It's surprisingly fast and can really take a pounding. It can run neck-and-neck with a clutched SX700R all the way to top speed and it sure is fun seeing the looks on their face!.....
I've got about 3000 miles, engine is original and still going strong.

You can check out my site if you want to see some pics, but i've got alot of work to do and more pics to add. I'm new at webpages, so bare with me if it looks cheesy.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well you usually are supposed to let them warm up. (At least I do) because this will cold seize the pistons. This is when the cylinders are cold and fit titly around the pistons. The pistons get scuffed and scratched cause of this. This is why when you let it sit there when after just being started it idles at low rpm. Then when it gets warmer it idles at higher rpms.You probably all ready knew this but for those who don't, hey you learned a lesson for the day.
I think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts