Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm looking at buying a xcr 440 I'm pretty sure its a 98 (red with checkers) What are they like for a 440? Do they got a lot of snap on bottom end? I'm not looking for top speed, just something that has get up and go, so it will pull the ski's etc. The one I'm looking at will need a motor teardown, because it wasn't exactly well taken care of. Its kind of a project. How much would one of these be worth in a stock form and pretty used?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah pretty fast out of the hole for a 440. mine tops out around 95. not so good in powder though. but rips up the trails quite nicely.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it sink in powder or just underpowered? If i put a 1.5" track with wider ski's would it be okay do you think? I won't be mad if i find you're wrong lol.. I'm just looking for a fun all around sled that I can ride besides my other sled.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
well the one I bought my ex and put a 1.25" track on did fine in snow, the 440 is NOT a powerhouse, no great drift bustin, but PLENTY of fun in the ditches and lakes! I would say a fair price for a very used one would be maybe $1300. I bought ours with like 3k miles for $1500 a couple years ago. Fun sled, I'd like another!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Me too!!! Out of the hole mine pulls almost as hard as my XC700. They were close to, or right at 100 hp for a 440. Light and nothing short of a blast to ride. If you are going out to lake race your buddys, forget it. If you want a light sled that is a blast in the trails...you got it. I'm like Skipponator and did mine up for the little woman...After I rode it, forget it! I'm ridin it, and bought her the XCF.
By the way, the neighbor had a 1992 650 last year and we musta lined up a half a dozen times.It was on a plowed road and roughly a 1000 ft. Both sleds were studded, we took turns at starting waves, and all times from a dead stop. The 650 won 0 times. Yes, across the lake he will kick my butt. Thus my prior comment.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Sure will. They are a fun sled. I love mine and won't get ride of it. I have thought about it bit not gone through with it.

They are a blast on the trails and get great milage when ridden easy. On some occasions I have gotten 18 mpg.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is pretty much what I'm looking for. Not a ski-doo fan, never rode any cats. I'm just looking for a sled to ride the trails and ride around ditch banging etc. I don't need it to have top end, just balls on the bottom end/ holeshot etc. The one I'm looking at I think the motor is junk, but everythings there. Quick rebuild I think it should be fine. What are they like for bumps and little snow drift jumps etc? thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you are looking for all around, and a very reliable, good gas mpg sled, why not a 600 xcr?? I am just wondering why a 440? I have 2 600 xcr's, and both are nimble and very respectable when it comes to trails or boondocking. for what you are going to spend for the 440, look for a 600, and you will be able to grow with it. With the 600, we are never wanting for more power or speed.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
440 has as much hp as a mid 90's 600, 93 to be exact. They are quit nimble and have the tipped in trailing arms. They handle great not as good as a pro x or edge but still very respectable.

·
Registered
6,904 Posts
those 440 xcrs have some got to them i know i lined up with one he took me for about 200 to 300 ft with no problem, but i did catch up.( i had no traction like i do now) he had a 1.25 ripsaw. If i EVER came up with money I would buy a 98 XCR 440 and swap my suspension,track,risers. But i will never get rid of the xcr/triumph 600 i have now.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I said pinkpower(Not trying to start nothing, so if it gets out of hand I'm sorry), just looking for a sled to goof with. I'm 16, my dad lets me ride the sled he owns if I buy a trail pass and gas money and maintain it etc. He pays insurrance cause I can't afford everything with a part time job. It's a 97 vmax 700 sx. It flies will keep up with any 700 tripple, it will smoke any xc too. and it's stock [:D]. I just want a sled I can call mine, 440's are cheap to insure, good mileage etc. They can handle some abuse and they aren't as tempermental as my srx. So I can have fun with is, maybe do some puddle jumps in the summer etc. Having a sled thats not yours, isn't fun. I almost have my lisence now, and I'd like to be able to take my own sled and go riding. So a 440's the way to go. you wouldn't catch me dead with a ski-doo. IMO there nice looking, thats all. Motors are pure junk. I respect the company as I'm canadian, but I would never buy one. Artic cat, I've seen a few of their 440's blow too, but thats cause of fuel problems lubrication etc. And yamaha doesn't make a newwer 440 liquid in like a vmax chassis. So polaris is the only way I can go. I found one from the kid down the street. For sure it'll need a lot of work, the motor is toast I know that for sure but thats not a problem. Just a rebuild. But for the shape it's in, he wants like 1600 canadian. IMO its deffinitely not worth that. What do you all think? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
^Without pics...who knows what its worth. In running condition, they will go for at least 1300 like Skipponator said. A really clean unit will go for considerably more.

Ive got two 98's and they are both my pride and joy. I wouldnt hesitate to cut them up if the need arose but the chassis will stay in my possesion for a least another couple seasons yet. The 98 440 got the best parts the polaris engineers could bribe out of the coorporate bean counters back in the day. That sled sold for like 8399 us back then. Only a few hundred below the Storm

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I was at polarisrocks tonite and that was all he talked about, getting a 440 xcr. I was under the impression that they were gas hogs, but if you get the punch for the money, i guess its worth it then. I was actually lloking for one for the kids to ride and swap out the indy 500, just to have all xcr's. But all I ever heard about was the gas consumption, and being a previous owner of an RXL, Ive had my share of pig motors for my lifetime.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well realistically, I wouldn't trust it to ride to far from home with the shape its in, it needs a track and work period. For 1600 canadian, I don't think its worth it for only a 440 even if the chassis are amazing, I could just buy an xcr and put a 440 motor in it cheaper probably. This thing is no beauty in my mind. I was thinking more around 1000 to 1300 tops.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Originally posted by Zrxpilot
[br]^Without pics...who knows what its worth. In running condition, they will go for at least 1300 like Skipponator said. A really clean unit will go for considerably more.

Ive got two 98's and they are both my pride and joy. I wouldnt hesitate to cut them up if the need arose but the chassis will stay in my possesion for a least another couple seasons yet. The 98 440 got the best parts the polaris engineers could bribe out of the coorporate bean counters back in the day. That sled sold for like 8399 us back then. Only a few hundred below the Storm
Oh yes! They were $$$$ back in the day but you know why! This is probably once of the best out of the crate sleds Polaris ever made. To bad they can't seem to do that untill recently with the new 600HO and by the sounds of it the 700 Dragon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts