Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a 98 xcr 700 tripple last, winter it smoked alot my dad thought maybe it needed new rings, any ways i ended putting a hole in the heat exchanger and the engine had to be pulled to get to it,while the engine was out i looked threw the exhaust ports and the cylinder walls looks good the rings and piston looks fine besides the middle piston has sum niks lil bit below the rings, but the cylinder wall looks fine.do you think the smoking is the oil pump needs adjustment or it needs new rings?? any help would be much appreciated thanx
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,279 Posts
On a 2 stroke the rings have nothing to do with oil consumption. Do a compression test and if that checks out good there is no need to pull it apart. What brand of oil are you using? Some smoke more then other brands, and all 2 strokes smoke when first started in the cold. The best way to see if you are using to much oil is to top off your oil and gas tank and ride 50 miles, top off both tanks again and measure how much gas/oil it used to figure out the ratio. It should be around 40:1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,842 Posts
most of the smoke on a two stroke is that the pipes and engine are cold, once you get it hot the smoke gets less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RMK-KING said:
On a 2 stroke the rings have nothing to do with oil consumption. Do a compression test and if that checks out good there is no need to pull it apart. What brand of oil are you using? Some smoke more then other brands, and all 2 strokes smoke when first started in the cold. The best way to see if you are using to much oil is to top off your oil and gas tank and ride 50 miles, top off both tanks again and measure how much gas/oil it used to figure out the ratio. It should be around 40:1.
I think the oil i was using was amsoil i have to get more, what would you suggest??
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,279 Posts
kowalskie1971 said:
RMK-KING said:
On a 2 stroke the rings have nothing to do with oil consumption. Do a compression test and if that checks out good there is no need to pull it apart. What brand of oil are you using? Some smoke more then other brands, and all 2 strokes smoke when first started in the cold. The best way to see if you are using to much oil is to top off your oil and gas tank and ride 50 miles, top off both tanks again and measure how much gas/oil it used to figure out the ratio. It should be around 40:1.
I think the oil i was using was amsoil i have to get more, what would you suggest??
Amsoil is fine,I used it for a few years with no problems and no excessive smoke. Do you ever foul plugs to where they are black and oily? You might just be jetted on the rich side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RMK-KING said:
kowalskie1971 said:
RMK-KING said:
On a 2 stroke the rings have nothing to do with oil consumption. Do a compression test and if that checks out good there is no need to pull it apart. What brand of oil are you using? Some smoke more then other brands, and all 2 strokes smoke when first started in the cold. The best way to see if you are using to much oil is to top off your oil and gas tank and ride 50 miles, top off both tanks again and measure how much gas/oil it used to figure out the ratio. It should be around 40:1.
I think the oil i was using was amsoil i have to get more, what would you suggest??
Amsoil is fine,I used it for a few years with no problems and no excessive smoke. Do you ever foul plugs to where they are black and oily? You might just be jetted on the rich side.
iv never had ne problems with the plugs im gonna buy a compression tester tommarow see what we got take it from there so i can atleast start putting it back together winters comin fast
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top