Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a low mileage 97 xlt special - my first polaris - I rode it last weekend for the first time & it has an intermittent loss of one cylinder - I changed the plugs & had the carbs done over (needle & seat) - something about an upgrade due to vibration - That helped the hard starting but I still have the in & out w/one cylinder - Compression 139 on rt & center cylinder, 120 on left - plugs all tan - It's still useable, just kind of an aggravation when you get on it & it bogs. Is the lower compression enough to cause this or should I look somewhere else before I tear it apart.
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What a good weekend I had - when I tried to start the sled it was only running on (2) cyl's - catching it in failure made it easy to tech - was just a coil gone bad for clutch side cylinder - slapped a new one in & it purrs like a kitten

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was going to suggest synchronizing the carbs too, but you found it was the coil. Where is the coil, is it right under the carb beneath the airbox?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow the spark plug wire to the coil - bolted onto the air box side of the engine - each cylinder has it's own coil - I actually picked up a used one - took about 10 min to change

·
Registered
206 Posts
sul1014 - Okay stupid question - Does the xlt have a CDI box? Is that the same as a coil? How could you tell the coil was gone, no spark?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The coils are on the engine below the PTO side carbs. The CDI box is screwed to the top of the airbox. No spark in one cylinder, bad wire or coil. No spark at all go up the chain to CDI or stator. IMHO

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
polarisxltsp is on the money w/location of both components - mine started as an intermittent loss of the cyl but when it finally failed there was no spark on that cylinder - swapped it with one of the other ones & it worked good so I bought one to put in & one as a spare

1 - 10 of 10 Posts