Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what kind of fuel mileage you guys with the XLT's are getting.

Mine is a 98 LTD, 230's, 40 pilot and clip on 3 and I'm getting around 9mpg (US) at best.

Any suggestions on getting this up a bit. My buddies brand new 700 XC gets a third better right from new and it is tough getting fuel every 95 or so miles in the area we ride. My buddy doesn't have to look for fuel until the 130 mark or so.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Something wrong..
We call our buddies Exxon Valdez. We've seen a 150-160 mile range on a tank (98 xlt special all stock.) Buddy Troy had a 97 Xlt was the same deal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fella's,

Funny enough the fella I bought it from said it would pull 185 miles on a tank on the trails at 50kph. He commented on how much it was better than the other sleds he rode with including their 01 XC 600.

Now I own it and I need to follow the fuel truck.

I getting new needles and seats on Friday, Another delaer I talked to said this was common with the XLT's. The needles get a small groove and don't seat properly causing a rich condition. He did say these weren't known for their fuel mileage too.

What gives?

Any other comments.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
If you're replacing the needle n seats, go with the viton tipped ones. They have a rubber tipped needle, instead of the plain steel. They seal much better.

G

·
Wow,
I only dream about that kind of fuel milage. I get 6.5 - 7 MPG with my summit. 10.5 gal. tank. 70 miles is all I go before I am walking. If you are getting 9 mpg. That sounds pretty good. I rode a Yamaha Phazer 480 fan for years and got 10 mpg.

Dennis

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'm going for the viton ones. The are marginally more and seal far better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts