Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having a problem lately with what appears to be the ignition. The sled idles fine. From 1/8 to full throttle it seems to loose all power intermittently for a split second anywhere within this throttle range and the problem seems more prevelant after the first half mile or so. When power is their, the sled runs great. Both plugs look a little leaner than usual, but still dark enough not to be concerned about seizure. Compression on both cylinders is at 125 - OK. Cleaned both carbs. At this point I am looking at the electrical system and would like to partition out the carb switches and the high speed throttle switch. I have an old 96 cougar wiring diagram that should be similar, but I can't figure out how to bypass these components. According to my old electrical diagram, the throttle sensor is in a parallel circuit with the carb switches, which are then in series with the kill switch and the key switch. I can't figure out how this ever works, because the throttle sensor goes into an open ciruit when its barely open, and the carb switches don't close the circuit until about 3000 RPM. Maybe my old diagram does not apply?? Tommorow, I will try jumping out the carb switches - in this condition I have to keep the throttle around 3K rpm to keep the sled running, but its worth a try. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can partion out this problem one piece at a time?? Also, have an explanation on how this ignition circuit works. I've been racking my brain on this one - hence the long post.

Thanks,
Captainkirk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got It!!!!!! Finally figured out how to bypass the high speed throttle switch and that was it. Will work on fixing or replacing the POS asap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts