Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site so I'm hoping for some good advice. I have a 98 Zr 600 efi looking to reclutch, the set up in it now grabs at 6500rpm not great while trail riding. I do alot of ditch banging and some trail riding looking for something in-between. Any help would be greatly appreciated also looking for a sorce.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Welcome, yeah I can see engaging at 6500rpm will rip your head off everytime you take off and not ideal for trail riding. What clutch kit setup do you have in it now? 6500 engagement isnt stock, have you had any other mods done to the machine? Pipes, head work, porting?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 98 zr 600 efi and my kicks in at 4500. I dont know what kind it is because it was on the sled when I bought it, but 4500 isnt to bad on the trail. There is really no creeping along tho if thats what you looking for. lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what is in it now the Guy I bought it from said it was a black magic kit. The Guy wasn't all there he had only owned the sled for 1 season and it was too much for him. I do know the orig owner was big into drag racing. The only other aftermarket things are196 gold digger studs and a chip for efi. I have not had the motor apart to check for porting but this thing is way faster then my last Zr 600. It will lift the skies at 60 great fun till you get out of bed the next day and wonder why you're neck and arms don't want to work. I was looking for something around 4500 rpm. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I would call Black Magic, tell them your story and see if they can give you some direction. Before calling I would take both clutches off and tear them apart so your looking at color of springs, helix numbers and weights so you can tell BM exactly what you have, sounds like if the previous owner liked to drag thats the type of setup you have. Maybe its something simple to get the engagement down...I know with my sled I can add or take out shims to gain or take away 500 rpms for engagement. Do you think you have the stock pipe?

If you looking to just reclutch then you could just start all over and buy a new kit or build your own. Take out what you have now and replace it with a setup for your riding.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i run a stock clutch, weights and spring for my zr 600, it engages at 4500 or so and when your on the trail at about 60 mph it will rev about 6500 rpm, my comet clutch i had on before engaged at the same rpm but ran a little lower in the 60mph range. it went out last year so i gotta get it rebuilt and put it back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts