Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time has come. I need a new truck, my Bimmer has to go. I loved it, but it can't tow 3 sleds or the waverunners. And it's a deathtrap in winter. So I found a guy that wants to trade his 99 Durango SLT 5.9 for my car. Anyone have any experience with these? My brother is a sales manager at a Dodge dealership in CO and he says that they can't keep the late 90's Durango's on the lot. Everyone wants them out there. No major issues, and they run strong and long. No horror stories out there?

Thanks guys,

Bryan

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
My dad works at ford/chrysler dealership and I have heard the opposite of that. Very poor performer. Salesmen hate to see one come in and they won't buy one from the auction house.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]My dad works at ford/chrysler dealership and I have heard the opposite of that. Very poor performer. Salesmen hate to see one come in and they won't buy one from the auction house.
ya, i heard their terrible

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
one word transmissions. the trannies in those things are junk. i cant recall how many people i have heard of blowing trannies in those things.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would stay away from it. Like others said they have transmission issues along with other issues. Here is the Consumer Reports rating, 99 is one of the worst years.

[attachment=52988]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
My dad bought a 98 Dakota Sport 4x4 with a 5.2 in it brand new in 1998. It was the worst vehicle I have ever seen in terms of reliablilty. The whole passenger side of the suspension gave out at around 30,000 miles and caused the tire and rim to leave the truck. Tailgate internals rotted out and seized up at 2,000 miles, trans was leaking bad at around 60,000 miles, motor blew a head gasket at around 40,000 miles, and it ate it's fait share of balljoints. It had alot of other stuff go wrong too but we traded it in 03 so I can't remember. That style Dodge is one I would pass by. What kinda Bimmer do you have?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
My buddys mom has a 98 Durango. The motors are bullett proof, Dodge has been making the 318 forever. Obviously it's not going to get good gas mileage, it's a v-8 and an SUV, so don't count on that. I have a 99 Ram with 100,000 miles. It's also a 99 and haven't had a single problem. My buddys mom's has had 1 tranny and it has around 200K on it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
04ProX and XCRacer - It has the 5.9 360, not the 318 5.2. I believe they've made the 360 just as long, if not longer. My dad has the 5.9 in his 98 Ram with 150k on it with no problems. Except rust - work truck. Not exactly the kind of thing you wax every weekend. But I definately will bear what you guys said in mind. Maybe I'll go for a Tahoe instead. I work at an Auto Auction, but being an employee it's a pain to buy anything there. Conflict of interest I guess. THere's a pair of F7's that no one's bid on for 3 weeks.. just keep going through the lanes. I'm not a Cat guy but I wouldn't mind having one of those! Man if you guys knew the prices that stuff goes through the lanes for you'd probably puke. I haven't seen an 06 Commander go through for more than 16k. Anyways maybe I should get together with my buddy and get the dealer license we've been talking about.

Oh, its an older E36 325IS. And an A/T. Fun car - rides well, zero problems, etc. Just need something to tow with.

Thanks guys,

Bryan

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Engines are good, but a buddy in school had one with the 5.9 and is on his 2nd tranny, he doesnt drive it hard either.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Ibreakstuff, yeah I know you mean the 360 I was just talking about that style Dodge in general.I think the Tahoe would be alot better.

The E36's are sweet, my buddy has a 99 328is auto that he beats the snot out of, 250,000 miles and somehow still going.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
172k on mine. Shifts hard, great compression, body is cherry. Driver's seat is a little faded but no tears and the foam inside is in great shape. If you dyed the front driver's seat it would look perfect. 172k is a lot of hours on a seat, ya know? I wish I could keep it. Never gave me any problems. Maybe in a year or two I'll get another one.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Gotta love bimmers, one thing about them they can handle the miles.
i beat the snot out of my 535i. they just keep running and running. and they are super comfortable (172k heck your seats just broken in good [:D])

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On my weekend trips in the summer (Lake of the Ozarks, Michigan, etc), I just set the cruise just at the triple digit mark and go. Car gets 26-27mpg at that speed. By far the most responsive machine I've ever driven. There's a good reason they say it feels like you're part of the car when you're driving it. I can only imagine one of the M3's or M5's. Sweet machines.

Bryan

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
if you get that Durango ,make sure you put an over sized tranny cooler on it ,what a lot of people don't realize on those dodges are that only around 30% of the oil gets sent to the cooler

·
Registered
8 Posts
outher then some haveing tranny problems. Once you get a good trans in them they are bullet proof. the 5.2 5.9 are super super tuff and strong. I would do it if it has had the tranny problem fixed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i'd avoid the durango and sell the bimmer and get a used 2003 dodge dakota 4x4 my dads got one he has had no problems except for it being a piggy on fuel but for $450.00 he got better fuel milage by buying the k&n cold air intake..
It Sounds Wicked To!

·
Registered
36 Posts
We have a 98 durango SLT. Its only like a 4.6 liter or something but personally i think the trannies are CRAP. The thing can barely pull a boat with a trailer. I hate it with a passion :)
*edit* also it only gets 13 MPG and has a 318 in it. Horrible gas mileage for something you would expect to get more. I would say a trailblazer would be better, but i hate those things too! Oh and definately don't get a Chevy Equinox, my dad travels a lot and has to rent vehicles and more than once he has driven one and said nothing but a bunch of crap about it being horrible.
*edit* our durango is a 98 not a 97. that might explain the tranny problem! :p

·
Registered
690 Posts
if it has the 5.9 360 then it was the r/t, them things are bad ass, i havent heard any problems with the tranny's in 99, it was the 98 that was bad, my sister had a 99 with the 318 and i know another person and they have never had any problems, on all the dodge forums i read it is the 98 that has the problem, i think it would be better than the tahoe but do what you think is going to be the best for you

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Spike440
[br]We have a 98 durango SLT. Its only like a 4.6 liter or something but personally i think the trannies are CRAP. The thing can barely pull a boat with a trailer. I hate it with a passion :)
*edit* also it only gets 13 MPG and has a 318 in it. Horrible gas mileage for something you would expect to get more. I would say a trailblazer would be better, but i hate those things too! Oh and definately don't get a Chevy Equinox, my dad travels a lot and has to rent vehicles and more than once he has driven one and said nothing but a bunch of crap about it being horrible.
*edit* our durango is a 98 not a 97. that might explain the tranny problem! :p
I used to sell Chevy's. No need to tell me about the Equinox (rebadged vue) or the POS Trailblazer only available with the I6 (unless you get the EXT). Don't get me wrong - the Jeep 4.0 I6 is a nice piece of machinery. Indestructible and runs forever. But not what I need. Thanks guys,

Bryan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts