Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas I appreciate any input that you may have on this one.

Out riding in the UP of Michigan in the cold weather Sat. night, My buddies sled (99 MXZ 600, 3000+ miles)was running great with about 250 miles on for the weekend, when it lost power. It was still running on 2, but wanted to stall. In WOT, it would bog till about 4-5000 RPMS, then "light up" like normal and run like crazy. He got it back to the truck and trailer all right, but when he pulled the plug on the stator side he had a strong nose burning smell from the cylinder.

Last season he lost a head gasket on this same sled. Saturday, the sled seemed to be acting like it had the year before when the head gasket blew. Last yr., he pulled the plugs and had the same type of nose burning smell, but from the PTO side. He pulled the head, cleaned it up installed the new gaskets, and has about 750-800 miles before this last problem.

So we got it back home on Sunday, pulled the head, but couldn't find any obvious problems with the head gaskets. We started wondering would might have caused the problem, other than a coolant leak, and starting looking at the RAVE valves. THey seem to be pretty sticky. So, now we really aren't sure what to think. We might have got it torn down a little quick, to try some less evasive solutions, but was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this for us.

Questions - How free should the RAVE valves "float" when manually operating them without the cover on them?

Could the RAVE valves cause the above mentioned problems?

I have read the process you guys mentioned about cleaning the RAVE valves, and will be procedding with that, anything else we aren't thinking about yet?

Thanks in advance - Sid

·
Registered
539 Posts
first thing i'd do is run some isopropal alcohol through the fuel system.
then install a fresh set of plugs, some fresh fuel then see where it's at.
rave valves should flat/move with ease. you dont want them to stick.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got all the gaskets to put in back together this weekend. Was wondering if the gas was an issue also. We had several fill ups during the weekend though. The sled was just about out of gas when we got back to the truck and trailer. Had run well the entire trip till the very end.

Plan for the weekend is to get it back together, gas it up and see what she does. I get back on and report how it goes. Anyone else had these same symtoms?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts