Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Just wanted to get some feedback. My girlfriend now drives a 2000 Trail Touring. It is a 2 up with elec. start and Reverse. The only thing is that we do a lot of trail riding, and the trails do get bumppy. So needless to say I hear about it when we get back. We don't use the 2nd seat on it too much so she would not miss it.

My Question is would it be worth it to trade hers in for the 1999 500 classic which will still have the electric start and reverse that she needs, but will aslo have the Xtra-12 suspension. Instead of the Xtra-10 on the Trail Touring. If I could trade hers in and get the classic for around the same money, would it be worth it to go back a year for the suspensions?

Is there really a big difference in the suspensions?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Fred

·
Registered
412 Posts
Why do you have the 2 up in the first place? Kids? If not, I would definitely consider switching to a 1 up rather than ride a "couch" (no offense intended towards 2-up sled riders)

As a woman rider, I would tend to think that a one up sled would be a lot more manouverable (sp?) than a 2 up; that alone would help stop some of the fatigue she might be experiencing.

When I was first in the market for my sled I was trying to decide between the Grand Touring (2-up) and the Formula Dlx (1-up). I have kids to transport, so that is an issue for me. I opted for the Form. Dlx with a jack seat for the occasional extra rider, and feel that it was a really good choice. When you are riding with a passenger, you still have the full seat when you are driving yet they have a comfortable seat. When you are without an extra rider on the back a 1-up is definitely the way to go.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Hey Jacqs (sorry bout the nickname, have a good friend named Jacquie and I always call her Jacqs),

How do you like the Seat Jack, does it work OK for an adult? I'd imagine the supension would take a beating though.

Is the Seat Jack have its own supports on the tunnel, they always look like just an extra cushion on the tool kit.

When hell freezes over, we'll ride there too.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Jacqs is ok; I've worked with almost all guys for 18 years and they all call me Jac. (or is it Jack? lol)

Anyway, about the seat jack. There is a channeled frame that bolts under your seat (you have to remove the seat to install it) that the seat slides into. It works really well as far a room goes; my kids are both bigger than me these days and they can sit in it comfortably while leaving you the full seat to manouver in while you are driving (sometimes I forget they're there!
). It's also very secure. The seat jack fits over the trunk.

Having said that, it also makes the sled quite top-heavy. The very first time I drove my sled my partner (a pretty big guy! lol) ran over and hopped into the seat jack as I took off. I didn't get 10 feet before I hit a slight snow drift; the sled tipped slightly, he started falling sideways and grabbed the handgrips to hold on and pulled us, sled and all, over on our side. I wasn't impressed!

To be fair to him, I've also tipped it over on it's side while trying to climb drifts with my daughter on the back (less than 100 lbs at the time). So you'll definitely notice a difference from riding solo.

My 12yo son is bigger than me these days (I'm 5'7") so I imagine I'll be bottoming out with him on the back this season. If only he would smarten up so that I could let him get his license and ride the Yammi... lol

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well guys some people may disagree with me here, but its not how much travel you have its how well you adjust your sled to use that travel. I would say see about getting shocks re-valved and possibly lighter/heavier springs depending on whats happening. Dont sell the xtra-10 short....its a good suspension, especially when tuned right.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I would only use it for my kids neway, my oldest is only 95 lbs., just beef up the pre-load a notch, revavling for that would be excesive.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My kids always felt more secure on the seat jack as opposed to just riding on the back. They like having the handles to hold onto, as well as having a backrest.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys thanks for your input.

The second seat is not an issue.

My real question is: Is the Xtra-12 on a single sled a much better ride than the Xtra-10 on a 2up for a single rider?

Thanks
Fred

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I don't think so...it's like Truimph said, it's all in the setup.
You could lighten up the springs and back off the dampening and get a much better ride for 1 person.
That being said, if she will not be riding with passengers I would trade it in for the Classic, better handling, more zip, better mileage, and yes a better ride right out of the box without any changes to the slide truck.
Good luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Jacq's

I couldn't believe it when I read your post, the same thing happened to me.
I felt really, really bad at first, but then I noticed she's forever falling off of sleds, it doesn't matter what kind it is. SHE JUST FALLS OFF! Go figure.

Jeff

RIDE SAFE - RIDE SOBER

·
Registered
290 Posts
You have to tune in the suspension to her weight, you could get the extra 12 and still have the same problem, it's harder to set up the lighter they are, my wife's about 125lbs, I had to make many adjust on the trails before she was happy, we also have a 1999 A.C. panther 550 2 up the sled give a nice rider with her on it and it's easy to handle for her.

Make sure the suspension is not binding up, have the shocks been rebuilt and are they valved.

I am 235lb and have a extra 10 on my sled, It rode like a buckboard when I first got it, I put heavier springs and rebuilt the shocks, and a few adjustment, it was a world of difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts