Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Sunday on the river my motor seized @ 7000RPM. I was having issues with it before this with the 7000 RPM wall, then it seems to be running ok and now this happens. I haven't torn into the motor yet. The '99 XCR SP 440's are rare and they don't manufacture the pistons as far as I can gather. Its a Liberty engine.

My question is, what other liberty engine will fit and give me the least amount of hassle to get this sled on the snow again. I really don't want to rebuild a motor that they don't make parts for any more. I love my edge sled just need some advice on which motors will work and which ones won't. Or even if a Fuji motor will work. I'm open to suggestions here, this sucks. I know this has happened to others in the past, just not sure if I should go with a 800, 600 or 440 V.E.S. Just like to know what has worked and what hasn't worked.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Can fit just about any Polaris engine in there easily. Get a 500ves or 600ves with electronics, carbs and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
^ or even a 98 XC 700 motor, you have a large option to choose from, even the XCR800 triples Ive seen in an edge.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
hmmmm my 440 currently has a 7000rpm wall very wired

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I believe you can drop 700 cylinders on that bottom end, bolt up and go, but better check with dealer first, pretty sure though

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so basically i've got a lot of different engines to choose from. I've never done this before, but looking around ebay motors I've found a few that might work. Could I use my flat slide carbs that I have on it now? I'd also need the pipe for the new motor, CDI box, engine mounts and would the clutches I have now work?

07 IQ Liberty 440
02 pro X 440
XC 800 w/ 900 upper?
02 xcsp 800 v.e.s.

·
Registered
61 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/xcr-800-engine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335a6eb824QQitemZ220560537636QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
538 Posts
vogey said:
i think the 600 ves is biggest small block made, they should bolt right onto the 440 case though
No the newer 700's and 800's are now smallblocks but before I think '06 your right.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm wondering if a Liberty 800 V.E.S. would work or not?

Or my only option is the Liberty small blocks?

I'm just looking for the least painful way to do this, the 440 V.E.S. had plenty of power for me right until it seized that is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok Its been mentioned by a couple people to me now that the 03 pro x 440 piston will work has anyone that has a '99 XCR SP 440 ever done the 03 pro x piston swap in their sled? I'd just like to know their results. Paying $750-1250 compared to a couple of 03 pro x pistons could save me a lot of $$. I just want to do this right.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
well first,, have you taken the motor apart to see if it is actually the pistons and not someting else??

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
any news??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts