Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was riding a 99 ZR 700 last year and started to smell something like the sled was getting hot. We werent riding it hard or going very fast. I pulled off to the side of the trail for a sec to see if something was wrong and when i tried to start it back up i couldnt pull it over anymore. I tried turning the primary and couldnt move it. I just wondered if anyone knew how bad this was goin to be to fix and what could have caused it?. My wife had been riding it all morning and said she had noticed that it wasnt running right so i put her on my sled and off we went. I guess what im asking is how serious this is and is it worth fixing? I dont know if it will help but one plug looked normal and the other was really grey with white spots. The sled did sit since last march.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
It sounds like its seized pretty good. odds are it leaned out from a crank seal going.

·
Registered
538 Posts
probably a combo of gunked carbs, bad seals, or even a cracked carb boot. 2 strokes dont like air leaks or dirty carbs very much at all.
could've even been something clogged in the oil line or a cracked oil feed line. only way to know how bad it is, is to tear down the motor.

these 700 motors are tough, and make alot of torque for what they are. i'd rebuild it, but if you got the funds, drop an 800 or 900 from a newer ZR 8 or 9 in there and rip is up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
well i hate to the the bearer of bad news but i looked up the parts in my book and right around 500$ in parts but you could probably do it yourselph at home and save some money on labor that way

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Lean condition, the cause could be a million different things. How many miles? No way to know how much its going to cost, could just be a top end, but there could also be a problem in the crankcases($$$$)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh i know what i can get out of it. i took both heads off it today and found out that the left cylinder/piston is perfect but the right had a small hole on the front side and the exhaust port was melted down a little. the motor was completely empty of antifreeze and looked like the one head gasket went bad. we got it to brake free and it rolls over now its just kinda hard.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Pull both jugs, take them to a dealer or some place that can inspect them, then remove the bottom end to pull the crank and get that checked out and since it's out you might aswell get it welded and trued. The jugs might need to be re-nic'd, but other than that you shouldn't have to do anything.

·
Registered
538 Posts
so it was cooked dry of coolant? didnt the temp light ever go one like it should've?

worst case scenario the crank bearings overheated and it needs to be rebuilt. but it sounds like only your top end is cooked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts