Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 99 ZRT 800 after riding a 95 ZR 580 efi. My only complaint is the gas mileage. I had to fill up a couple of times in only 100 miles. Is this the nature of the beast or is there a way to improve the mileage? The previous owner installed v force reeds and a black magic pipe. I am getting only 6-8 mpg.

·
Registered
312 Posts
well i was out this week-end and one of the guys with me has a 99ZRT 800 and out of 5 sleds ,, he was the one that was hardest on gas ,, don't know why ,, but he didn't seem to be running to rich,,, seems to be the nature of the beast
Also i've already seen a bad adjustement on the gas gauge ,, you can take that middle needle out and turn it a bit and that will affect were the indicator is at,, meaning when the indicator get's to or around the E ,, your actually at about 1/4 of the tank ,,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping it was a false reading. I never let it get down much more than 1/4 tank but when I topped it off it could only get 7 gallons at most. I could only get 4 gallons in at half a tank.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
make note of the temps you are riding in and check your plugs during the day, if they are real brown, i bet you could drop one jet size and drop the needle down one ring or move the ring up one whole. just make note of the temp, on a colder day check things again to make sure you are safe.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Bull if jetted right then you should get 15mpg. ( not lieing) coming from a zr 580 you should notice better fuel econemy and if youre coming from the zr 580 efi then you should be thanking god. Those things get about 5 or 6. It is not the nature of the beast. It should be better than that.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I run a 97 ZR 580 EFI and I get around 10 mpg. All I know that we usually ride in a group with all types of sleds and the cats are always the first ones to fill up.

Bull if jetted right then you should get 15mpg.

My buddy has a 2000 MXZ 600 and that thing gets great gas milage, but getting 165 miles on a tank with a 800 (or any sled for that matter) is a little wishful in my book.

Also riding style and snow conditions will vary it greatly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts