Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my 92 wildcat suspension during the summer. Does anyone know what years will fit my sled and how much job it is to change. Thanks

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
97 to 02 TSL skids will work.
You will need to drill new mounting holes 2.5" forward from the current ones.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OldCatRider said:
97 to 02 TSL skids will work.
You will need to drill new mounting holes 2.5" forward from the current ones.
Thanks oldcatrider now I just got to get a good used skid.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
It's a little more complicated than that, but not much.

You want a 98 or newer TSL skid, the vast majority of 97 ETT skid's did'nt have the torque sensing link's

There are some variance's between the ZR ETT/TSL skid's, and the ZL/EXT ETT/TSL skid's.
You need the drive shaft to front torque arm measurement, and the mounted front to rear torque arm measurement, "FROM the DONOR SLED".

ZR skid's are best for a more aggressive ride, ZL/EXT skid's are more cushy for a good trail ride.

Read this whole thread until you are comfortable with the requirement's for this conversion.
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32042
This applies to all skid conversion's, not just the chassis the original poster is describing.
It's become a catch all thread for skid conversion's on pretty much any chassis.

The whole job will only take about 3 hr's to complete, and will be the single best upgrade you could make to your sled.

I've got this one for sale, if you're interested.
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/113744/display.aspx

Rick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick thanks for the insight. If i lived closer i would grab the suspension from you. By the way what is the difference in a 92 and a 97 suspension. Thanks again to all

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys I found a 2000 zl580efi skid on craigslist and wondering if it would work in my 92 wildcat. I dont know if an ett skid will work and the guy dosent know if it is ett or not. Also what should i expect to pay for it if its in good shape. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
A 2000 ZL skid would be a TSL.
Which is what you want.
An ETT skid would work too, just that the TSL has more travel than the ETT.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
jeremy.teplitza said:
anything for the front end? the 92 arms seem as if they are completely different than any others
That's pretty much right.
The AWS II, which is what your WildCat is, and the AWS I which cover's the smaller engined sled's.
Were pretty much unique to themselves.

After converting My AWS I Prowler to a 98 ZR TSL, I put 3/4" longer than stock Fox Shock's up front.
That leveled the ride height out pretty well.
I would'nt go any more than 1" over stock length in the front though.
I know that does'nt sound like much extra length, but the geometrie's involved in the front suspension will give it more lift than the actual length difference.

AWS I Prowler with ZR skid, and Stock front shock's
2008625155728764_13437.jpg 200882242629342_13437.jpg

And after going 3/4" longer on the front shocks.
200812613125265_13437.jpg 2008126131216343_13437.jpg

Enlarge the pic's, and you can see the drastic difference in the A Arm position.

Hope this help's you out, I love seeing these old sled's upgraded to modern standard's.

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question for the people who know the differences in these suspensions. I saw a 2001 z440 suspension which i believe to be a tsl but it didnt have the extra link in the back that connects to the tunnel. I have seen this link or extension on other skids. what is its purpose?? Thanks for all the info thus far[thumb].

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Those aluminum links at the top of the rear arm, are the actual Torque Sensing Link's. (TSL)
A long travel skid without them is known as the ETT skid. (Extended Travel Tunnel)
The links keep the sled from flipping right over on it's back, when you really pour the power to it.

When the ski's lift without them, you'll pretty much be looking at the sky.
When the ski's lift with them, they'll tend to come up about 6"-8" and just kind of hover there.

Take a look at My avatar, that's My 98 EXT Triple at full rip, going up a hill.
TSL Work's For Me!
Rick

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Festus on my zl should I just be able to bolt on a zr skid? Also do you happen to have the measurements for a zr middle shock and a zl? 98+. Sorry to Jack the thread.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Not sure about the shock measurement's, but the ZL front arm is 14 3/4" long, and the ZR front arm is 16 1/4".
The hole's are already on your ZL's front mount plate, all you have to do is finish drilling them through the tunnel.
Then bolt the skid in.
Make sure you get the measurement for the mounted front arm to rear arm distance, so you can hit the right hole's on the rear mount.

Rick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Festus33 said:
Those aluminum links at the top of the rear arm, are the actual Torque Sensing Link's. (TSL)
A long travel skid without them is known as the ETT skid. (Extended Travel Tunnel)
The links keep the sled from flipping right over on it's back, when you really pour the power to it.

When the ski's lift without them, you'll pretty much be looking at the sky.
When the ski's lift with them, they'll tend to come up about 6"-8" and just kind of hover there.

Take a look at My avatar, that's My 98 EXT Triple at full rip, going up a hill.
TSL Work's For Me!
Rick
Nice. But seeing how my wildcat track isnt studded i really shouldnt need that extra link, correct. The extra link does nothing for the ride itself if I am reading this correctly. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Well, mine is not studded either and when I get on to it hard, it will just roll back over the rear of the skid and dig in and go.
This also is due to the way I have the rear torque link (short piece at the bottom of the rear arm) set up.
I have it in the most forward hole and this improves the traction on acceleration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most everyone I ride with has studs, I find it more fun to ride without them. I know some people will say its not as safe but you just have to ride to your ability. I will have to try your set up next year, all I can do is cut a trench 30 feet long. Im still looking for a reasonable skid locally but am coming up empty.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Do the same thing on your current suspension and you will notice a big improvement in hook up.

G

·
hey if u guys know anyone that wants to buy my 89 wildcat 650 liquid cooled. specially if anyone lives in michigan!! ill sell everything for 200.00 it ran then had no spark aint touching it anymore i got a new cdi box and new main wire harness!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts