Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright here we go... I have a 99 xc500 would like some advice/opinions on additions and problems. It's paid for has no damage not worth much so I thought I might make some improvements. Was thinking about adding a 1.25" track. Which one ? Doesn't get up on the snow very good, i.e. break trail. The .82 stock track sucks. Has 2" bar riser block but still not where I want it . Pivot riser? Low speed burble,runs raspy down really low, been that way since new. I ride in central NY no mountains, sometimes on groomed trail sometimes not. Clutching?
Not looking for top speed, looking for all-around fun.

OK GO AHEAD
Please be nice

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had a 2000 XC 500 Non ves and it had the low end bog/hessitation (I think they all do) I put a Boost Bottle on and that helps some. I put Boyseen reeds in, and it helped slightly more. I also put a can on it and clutched it. The hessitation never completely goes away. I have a 700 non ves now, using the SLP power packs/boost bottle it completely is gone. Although they are the kiehin carbs, and you have the Mikuni carbs. I wonder if you could switch to the 39 mm Kiehins, add power packs and jet accordingly? You'd have a sweet running 500. Also, the 500's don't cool as well as the 700's, avoid long WOT runs in warmer weather or she'll burn down. Good Luck.
Jeff

·
Registered
632 Posts
not worth much? My 14 yr old son has a 99XC 500 and i would guess it to bring 18-2000 if we were to sell it. Its clean, no damage, 2 inch riser, stock track and paid for. Its a great sled!
Check the tolerances for putting in a 1 1/4 track to make sure it will clear the coolers. Cheap clutch mod would be to put in a heavier primary spring, taking it from a stock 3800rpm engagement, to 42-4500rpm engagement. Makes a big big difference in performance, coupled with the secondary adjusted as well. I think you could put V-force reeds in it too. For a riser I recomend the ROX pivot style in either 3.5 or 5". The 3.5 you should be able to add with no cable extensions, and the 5, well, maybe with some rerouting of the cables and wiring. as for the low speed "burble?" it may just need a good carb clean and synch. also check the plug boots for good connection, you can trim off about 1/2" of wire and screw on new boots if needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Trailjunkie. What I meant was it's worth more to me than what I could get. The market is flooded with used sleds out there. Primary clutch looks to have a almond colored spring,dealer changed it when I took it back for a recall. He didn't like the way it was clutched stock. Secondary has a R12 helix with a silver/blue spring as I recall. Plenty of room for 1.250 track.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
for the 1.25 in track get a ripsaw. best crossover track. re-jet it to fix the low end bog. others know more about jetting. clutch kit? drop 2 or 3 gear teeth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts