Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got out for my first ride of the season, i got to test out all the stuff i did to the sled over summer,my temp gauges work flawlessly, changed over to carbides from hardbars, holy-cow i have steering!!!, also my carb rebiuld is great, easy starting, much better throttle response, but im still not pleased with my top speed it seems a bit low,? and i cant figure it out either, its a 87 440 f/c jag, now im getting plenty of rpm, factory manual says 6200 tops, but with my jetting and uni-pod im gettting like 6700,i should say it is the correct belt, track tension is correct and the hex clutch bushings are tight, no play, also i should mention that ive checked the belt and in a no -load situition, track raised the belt rides all the way up the sheaves at full throttle, and registers 90+ on the spedo, but under load conditions on the snow i can only muster a mere 50 mph at full throttle, now i realize this is no thundercat but i expect more than this,only thing i can figure is that my clutch or secondary springs are weak? or something?,everything preforms well except the top speed issue, any ideas guys? im stumped.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My guess would be the carb. Try adjusting your jets. I had an old El Tigre that had the same problem. Replaced the jets and the thing did 90.

·
Registered
506 Posts
it's spinning to fast man, wind an extra 20 degrees into your secondary to get those RPM's back down. every engine has an RPM band it really likes, and you're spinning faster than that, and therefor not makeing enough power for the clutch to shift out.

by winding the secondary tighter, the clutch will shift earlier, hopefull in the powerband.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i cant see my problem being a carb problem, i just did the carb and it runs great, also ive tryed not reving to full throttle and it dosent make a diffrance, but again when you elevate the track, "no load suitation" and pin the throttle, the belt ride to the top of the sheaves and reads 90+mph, at this point im not sure just whats the next thing to try, HELP![:(]

·
Registered
266 Posts
If its running 6700 in a "load" condition and the factory peak HP.is at 6200 its overrevving and the secondary needs adjustment like stated earlier.No load testing tells you nothing because the secondary is torque sensing and it won't "sense" anything off the ground.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[?]how do i make adjustment on the secondary?right now its setup like my A/C manual states, or stock position, can anyone explain which way to adjust and what are the benefits or drawbacks of each, remember im new to this sport, heck on my dirt bike you just grab another gear, but this clutch belt, secondary thing is all forigen to me.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You have to take the secondary off, remove the snapring and release the spring tension. Then you can adjust and put it back together. Be careful of the spring tension when removing the snap ring. They make a tool for it, but you can make something yourself to. Search for a post on it because I know I saw one earlier on this site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts