Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My buddy has a '99 ZL 600, and it has been cutting out on him (running fine, then motor dies, then comes right back on again) off and on. We traced it back to the throttle position safety sensor. When we disable the sensor by unplugging the wire, the problem goes away. He doesn't want to ride with it like that too much since that also disconnects the kill switch. There are two clear plastic bushings on either side of the pin that holds the throttle lever on, one on the top and one on the bottom. The bushing on the bottom is cracked.

My question is this: Does he just need to replace those two bushings? Or is there more stuff inside the lever assembly that needs to be replaced?

Thanks for your help,
-Mike

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i think this is the same thing that was wrong wit my 99 powder special, there is a way to disconnect taht sensor without losing the kill switch as my kill switch still works, i dont know how to go about it tho

·
Registered
266 Posts
The bushing are usually the problem also the bushing around the little button that the flipper touches when at idle. Guys say that cutting the black wire works also .

·
Registered
85 Posts
nice pics. mike!
do you ever experience any antifreeze spitting out the top of the little resivoir tank? mine does occasionally. i've gotten used to it so it doesn't really bother me anymore...lol
i'll have to take some photos of my 96 xlt special with the tripple pipes under the hood, it looks pretty cool!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave, Haven't had any problems that you mentioned with my XLT, and thanks for the compliment. It has a new Cobra windshield on it now so I need to get some new pics up on my site, I just haven't had a chance...

But back to my friends problem... Does anyone else have any advice regarding the throttle sensor problem???

(spaceman - thanks for the tip)

Thanks again,
-Mike

·
Registered
33 Posts
My buddies 1998 580 EXT had the exact same problem and we replaced both throttle lever bushings and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Get it fixed. The cost is small compared to having a throttle stick and having your sled turn in to a 600 cc rocket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts