Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I posted a note about a 99 Skidoo MXZ I was re-building after a crash. Here is somthing that came out of this that I think is worth thinking about. The sled was damaged while flying through the air and ripping off the right side ski and suspension. The damage was severe, but the left side was OK. After the tear down, I noticed the left side mount for the swing arm was also slightly pushed back (about 3/4 inch) apparently from normal use. Because the right side arm was damaged, I used it for this idea. I cut about 8" off the end of the mount end (back) of the swing arm, and faced it off in a mill. Next I designed an aluminum end about 4" long with a 3/4" bore down the center and pressed in a nylon bushing. Fitting into it is a stainless steel rod that is welded into the cut end of the arm. A die spring fits around the shaft, and between the aluminum end and swing arm. This will be able to let the swing arm push back about 3/4" on the spring when there is a high inpact such as a nose heavy jump, or a high speed bump. I have high hopes for this unit, and hope to try it out this season. I will also try to post a picture of it soon. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts