Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a Saturday afternoon, Dad sister and I out riding. Going down the lake I noticed I could only do about 120 km-ish before a wicked vibration. Stopped checked teh track, all the nuts bolts make sure all was tight. Kept going. It would get worse... it would start vibrating at 80ish now.

Made it it to a warm up shack and thought I would check my belt. the outside of my belt was sheered off, except for about an inch (pic)
[attachment=57984]

So put a new belt on and kept going. Vibratin was gone... It was running smotth. Made it to the river about 20-30 kms from the shack and lined up with dad.
Normally his sled gets me mid range etc... but I was on fire today.

at about 175km I heard a snap pop snap rattle chunk. Let it coast to a stop, shut the motor off.

Opened my hood. Oh ok just blew another belt. But the only difference was my arm was sticking out the clutch and the rest of it was in the belly pan. Looked closer found arm # 2 half out the clutch other half in the belly pan. Arm # 3 cant find it.

Wasn't able to get a decent picture of the primary, jsut where tehy weights came out is gouedged a bit on all 3. CORRETION. Here what I could get not the greatest though. All 3 look the same.
[attachment=58001]
[attachment=58002]

Looked under and side the sled. 2 holes in the belly pan and cracks.
Pics Below

Clutch Gaurd assembly snap
[attachment=57986]

Arms/Weights
[attachment=57988]
[attachment=57990]

Belly pan holes
[attachment=57992]
[attachment=57993]
[attachment=57995]
[attachment=57997]

Side of tunnel
[attachment=57996]

Clutches
[attachment=57998]
[attachment=57999]
[attachment=58000]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
that sucks too

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The Grenade affect... seen it a few times and it sukcs. bummer man.

·
Registered
340 Posts
are you going to have to replace both clutchs?

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
yeah he is. if he doesnt replace that secondary he'll be going thru ALOT of jack shaft bearings from it not being balanced anymore

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Wow.......I think she was calling you poor........that's harsh. Both the damage, and her reply.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
good thing you didn't catch a piece of clutch weight in your leg or something. that sucks man. i wonder if the bad belt made it vibrate enough to snap the weights, or the other way around.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I'm pretty sure the clutch caused the belt to go. When my clutch and drive shaft went on my 650 when I was doin 120 across a lake, I had holes in my hood from the belt that came apart.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I woas lucky that the belt didnt go though the hood.. that why you have belt gaurds.. If it would have taken my hood i would steaming, bad enough it punched 2 holes in my belly pan.

Yeah a peice of aluminum flinging around at 8000 rpms... that god right through you or take a chunk outta ya.

I'm pretty sure the clutch caused the belt to go. When my clutch and drive shaft went on my 650 when I was doin 120 across a lake, I had holes in my hood from the belt that came apart

Why do u think the cluthc cuz the belt to go????
The clutches are in good shape all the bushings are good, cleaned, smooth opertaing.

·
Registered
764 Posts
ouch good thing it didnt go through the hood!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Same thing happened to my son last year on our '96 EXT. But he pinned the throttle on an icey road with a passenger on board, so it was his fault. The clutch and belt gaurd was all dented up from the wieghts flying around, but it saved the hood. Tow rope $12.00, new clutch, $550.00, look on his face when I told him it was coming out of his allowance, priceless!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah lucky it didnt go through the hood. The belt gaurd was dented and scared in a few places. BUT on plus note I got he parts and should be riding this weekend.

$550 is good for a new clutch I know for a new TRA its over a grand.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Well here is a great chance to upgrade. Try to take a negative and turn it into a positive:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was jsut thinking while I was eating supper. about Zcat600's responce about the clutch on ice... I thought that would be cuz it over revved.. in a sence.

So then back to my sitauion .... Should I have had heaveir weights maybe, to prevent them from expanding/rising up to high??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts