Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting for a sled to come along that I could pick up at a decent price. What I have found was a '93 artic cat EXT 580z, the guy wants $1000 for it, because of lack of snow, and he wants to use the money as a down payment on a motorcycle. I know the history of the sled, and it hasn't been abused, no cracks anywhere in the fiberglass, the track looks as if it has about one more season in it. With 3200 miles on it, it may need the top end gone through I suppose. I'm kind of new to this, my last sled was a '72 John Deere. Would this be a good sled for dinking around on? I don't know what the EXT stands for or the Z after the 580, is this the low end model or something better? What should I look for when looking at it? Also how much compression should I see if I was to do a test on it?
Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Is this American or Canadian?? as for the compression i'd say anyting above 100PSI in each cylinder is what you'd be looking for, if you're under 100 then you'll need a rebuild soon, or if there is an inbalance between each (I.E-110PSI in one and 90 in the other)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Take it from me tair the engine down and check everything. Replace all the seals it's a good idea to replace the rings and bearings. Do you know how long the sled has been sitting and ran last. This is the reason for the tair down. I cooked an engine because of a seal leaking. Also take the carbs apart and make sure the gaskets are all good. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You say its a 580 Z?? I thought it would be a ZR, i didnt know they made 580 fan.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I know this sled and a a guy who used to have one. He never had any trouble with the sled. The reason why it is a 580z is because the normal ext was only a 550 liquid. The Z is a 580 liquid cooled. That motor is rated at about 85-90 horsepower. The sled should go about 93 mph. Thats what my friends would do. If the sled only has 3500 miles on it then i would leave it alone. If its been sitting then the bearings could be bad but they shouldn't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess it's been babied, the previous owner before my friend got his hands on it was pretty anal about his stuff, my buddy got it in a trade for an his 02 A/C, and some cash. He drove it twice this winter, and now wants a two wheeled wonder. I'm thinking about going through the top end on it just for good measure. Where would be a good place to find parts online? I also would like to run a pyrometer for each cylinder. I do this on my car to tune it for weather, exc... Has anyone done this? How close to the jugs should I mount the probe? What kind of temps should I look for?
Also, later on if I decide to go faster with it, how quick can this model of sled be? What's the weak spot? Crank, rods? Guess all these newbie questions may have been asked before, but the search function isn't working.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Pauly3535...welcome aboard. Start a new thread in "Snowmobiles--The Shop". You'll get the answers you seek.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts