Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after riding the zl for 1 1/2 seasons I've come to the conclusion that it's just not the sled for me. The ride is just too soft for a bigger guy like me 190 pounds, especially when riding off trail and aggressive rough trails. Well finding a job just hasn't been looking good at all, and without a bit of extra money I don't think I'm gonna be getting a new sled(there's still hope, just unsure now). I really don't want to sink a lot of money into this sled because I don't plan on keeping it. The things that I though about putting on it are: zr torsion spring, a 2 inch riser, and possibly a set of zr front shock springs(or just stiffen the fronts up). Any other suggestions? Just don't want to put a ton of money into the zl when it doesn't really fit my needs.

Thanks for the help,
Dakota

· Registered
1,480 Posts
ZR rear springs and front springs and get the rear shocks revalved stiffer for agressive riding. Itll prob make a huge difference. Im pretty sure the only mechanical difference between a ZL and a ZR is the suspension. I could be wrong though, might be some clutch tuning differences as well. Also recommend a clutch kit if you havent already. For just a few hunndred $ you can do a lot with a sled like yours.

· Registered
2,487 Posts
The shocks are valved softer in a ZL. You could just revalve the ones that you have, or replace them with ones from a ZR.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe my sled has throwaway ride fx's, I would love to be proved wrong on this. would I have any trouble putting zr shocks on my zl? I'm pretty sure I could find a whole set of shocks and a torsion spring for less than 300$ if I looked.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any thoughts on whether or not the center zr spring will fit on a zl skid? I found a few sets of zr cce clickers for around 110, and I have found center shocks for around 80$

· Registered
2,487 Posts
The rear shock will be the same length, the front shock will be shorter in the ZL skid.

· Registered
2,487 Posts
I believe that the difference between them is that the ZL has a 2" shorter front arm than the ZR.
This translates into about an 1.5" difference in the length of the shocks.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, I hope there's no difference between the 01 zr front arms and the 02+ because I have yet to see any 02 zr front arms. Looks like I might end up getting one more year out of this beast of a sled. Zr front shocks( proabably gonna be clicker resi), zr center, zr front arm, zr torsion spring, and a 2-3 bar riser. Hopefully I can do this for less than 400. Gonna be a super nice sled, might even keep it and just buy another sled. Next summer

· Registered
2,487 Posts
The front arms from ZR skids are the same length from 97 to 02.
The real differences will be the skid rails (weight) and the design of the TSL part.

· Registered
1,728 Posts
I have my 01 ZR skid out of the Triple right now for conversion to 144"

I just measured the shock,s in both the ZR, and the ZL skid, and they are both the same length's.
The front skid shock in both skid's is 11 1/2" center to center.
The rear shock in both skid's is 15" center to center.

So it would seem to Me you can just Bolt some more aggressive ZR shock's right into your ZL skid, without any problem's.

Also for everyone's reference, The torsion spring's are different between the two skid's.
ZR spring's are 16" long from the center of the coil, to the end of the long strut.
ZL spring's are 17 3/4" from center to end of strut.
Also the spring slider's mount in different position's on the rail's.

Rick

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting, I'll have to find someone with a zr shock to compare to. I would much rather just bolt on and go with a new shock, finding a mid, 2fronts, and a torsion spring would be cheaper. Leave more $ to put into a 4/5 inch bar rise.

· Registered
787 Posts
If you're looking for a stiffer ride get some 01 or 02 sno pro springs for the front they should work on a zl like they did on my zr, stay away from the progressive ones their junk. For the rear get a set of fat boy springs which will make it alot stiffer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.