Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
I got a 95 formula stx, I just got a Clymer manual for all doo's 90-95.
Looking at the exploded diagram of all the engines, the only diagram that looks like my engine is the 670, I was told when I bought it for $500 that it was a 583 but the picture of the 583 in the manual has no RAVE valves and the head looks totaly different.
1) The 583's were equipped with RAVE right?
2) could I have a different engine than what I thought?
3) is there an engine # stamped in the head,crankcase, or jugs?
4) I want to replace my shock and upgrade to plastic ski's, any recomendations on brands and suppliers?

I think I got them all for now, thanks in advance for the help!

winter is on it's way, I can feel it!

Eric

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeh one more question, what is the compression supposed to be,
I checked it and both cylinders were about 120psi, Is this okay?

thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey man, you got a good deal there for 500$... Anyways, to answer your questions, yes you are right the 583 in your sled
has the RAVE valves on it, the Clymer manual has a mistake in it. I had the same problem too. Use the pictures for the 617
if you want some reference; it's almost the same motor as the 583, just has a longer stroke. There should be a tag riveted on
the mag side of your engine right beside where the recoil starter is. All the info about the engine should be there... But if
the head on your engine is red, you have the 583. The 670's head is purple. If you want to upgrade your skis, you should
take a look a those new dual runner skis from skidoo, they're one of the best skis out there. As for your compression, 120 PSI
is about normal, just make sure that both readings have no more than 10% of difference from each other. That's about all
the advice I can give you for now.

Let me know how it turns out.

Pat

A low windshield is nice, but frostbite isn't

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dkidooman93x, thanks for the info. I got her purring like a kitten now. The guy who sold it to me is a buddy, he thought it had major problems, but all I did was make some carb adjustments. Just need the skis and new shock all the way around and I'll be ready for the snow!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts