Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was thinking about selling my phazer next year (I just got this year lol), but I wanted to get a Liquid sled. Which sled would you recommend? I want one that is pretty reliable and that has a some nice power under the hood. I'm looking in the price range of about 1000-1500 Canadian. I don't want anything really new or something like that, I was thinking late 80's early 90'
s. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Usualy anything old you pay $1500 for has a vacum just waiting to pull another $1000 out of your pocket, do yourself a favor spend it now and get a newer sled(lol).

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
if you look enough you can find some mint early 90's polaris liquid sleds like the 500, rxl, or xcr's.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would look for a Indy 500, year 1996 or later. 1996 was the first year for the extra-10 long travel. The motors are bullet proof, and the sled as a whole is very reliable and easy to work on. I had one and it never gave me a bit of trouble.

Polaris also made the Indy440 in 1996 and perhaps for a few more years after that. That would also be a good consideration, and might save ya a few hundred dollars from the price of a 500.

Example:

There is an 1997 XLTsp in the local rag right now, 600mi, mint cond., $2,150. So I don't think it is outside the realms of possibilty to find a moderatly milaged Indy 500/440 in the price range you are looking at. It's defiently a buyers market right now.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by aklawok
[br]Usualy anything old you pay $1500 for has a vacum just waiting to pull another $1000 out of your pocket, do yourself a favor spend it now and get a newer sled(lol).
That's funny aklawok, he's right on there...$1000.00 in parts can go quick.
I would spend between 2000 and 3000....you will get a much better machine.
Polaris:
Indy Trails, and Indy 500's are great machines, best reliabilty in the early 90's...IMHO. I just saw a '97 Trail in the paper with 700 miles on it for only $3500.00.
Cat:
Lot's of EXT's around to be had...great ditchbangers.
Doo:
Jacq's seems to really like her Formula.
Yam:
Personally those older Yams had terrible front end probs....I'd stay away...IMO.

But above all else, whatever you get, get it in the spring, not in the fall, way better deals to be had.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Well 2 years ago I thougth I got a great deal for a 91 safari 377... 1500$ Great deal eh? They the throttle cable breaks, 300$, then it needs new sliders, the new boggies... Okay so at 700$ were all set... 3 weekends later I blow a piston... another 700$ So were now at 1500$ for the sled and another 1500$ in repairs... And now I need new skiies thats another 200$....

I have been looking everywhere for sled, and trust me you cant even get a liquid 440 for 1500$...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[br]Usualy anything old you pay $1500 for has a vacum just waiting to pull another $1000 out of your pocket, do yourself a favor spend it now and get a newer sled(lol).
You have the money to give me for a "newer" sled? didn't think so. I asked for simple suggestions of what I WANTED, I never said "Which new sled do you recommend" I said what I wanted, and that's what I want..nothing more nothing less. For everyone else thanks for the suggestions. I saw a '91 ArcticCat Wildcat for 1500 in the autotrader, that seemed like a good deal.Hopefully I can find one like that in the summer or next winter. More suggestions are always useful :).

·
Registered
274 Posts
i have a 98 indy 500, has 7,000 miles, yeah i know its high, only things wrong with it are cosmetic, starts first pull, everytime no matter what temperature it is.. couple rips in the seats.
i have headlight cover, 2inch bar riser, 96 studs, rear adjustable indy select shock, plastic skis.... im looking to sell it, just no sure how, dealer will give me 1700 for it, towards new sled, not sure wether i wanna sell it outright, part it out on ebay, or what....
never sold anything before always traded things in.....
let me know how much i could get for it, or if their are any offers,
and how do i go about shipping or what ever , i live an hour from syracuse ny

·
Registered
608 Posts
I would stay away from the Wildcat. They were a problem in the early years. Look for a Polaris at least 95, there are plrnty kicking around. In the spring the prices will go down several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Don't waste your typing zack, sounds like he wants to find out for himself.

Hey buddy, budget $300.00 for tools...your gonna need'em.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just a thought, I've got an older indy for sale.. you won't need to worry about throwing money at it because I already did that (3000 this year alone) don't worry I'm asking less than that... Polaris 650 w/ x-tra10 new kimplex golds and new springs, new bars/risers, 11.8 gal tank, all updates, hand thumb warmers, heated visor plug in, many extras.. turn key.. Three new pistons included.. I'll even get them put in so it'll be fresh.. This is probably taboo for the formum.. but let me know if you are interested..

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by 500fasEnuf
[br]Don't waste your typing zack, sounds like he wants to find out for himself.

Hey buddy, budget $300.00 for tools...your gonna need'em.
Ok buddy. I'll think about that. hahaha.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by 500fasEnuf
[br]
That's funny aklawok, he's right on there...$1000.00 in parts can go quick.
I would spend between 2000 and 3000....you will get a much better machine.
Polaris:
Indy Trails, and Indy 500's are great machines, best reliabilty in the early 90's...IMHO. I just saw a '97 Trail in the paper with 700 miles on it for only $3500.00.
Cat:
Lot's of EXT's around to be had...great ditchbangers.
Doo:
Jacq's seems to really like her Formula.
Yam:
Personally those older Yams had terrible front end probs....I'd stay away...IMO.

But above all else, whatever you get, get it in the spring, not in the fall, way better deals to be had.
It's obvious you can not read. $1000-$1500, then you suggest a $3500 machine. hmm ok.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
You will not find liquid cooled machine that is ready to ride for 1000-1500$ end of story.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know about liquid cooled...but we bought a 1991 440 (bored out to 500) Indy trail last year and payed $400 for her. Any $ we spent on it was mearly cosmetic, besides a new set of brake pads there was nothing else she needed mechanically. The owner didn't realize what he had. We cleaned her up. That Indy has over 15,000 miles on it and starts everytime no matter the temperature. Don't go talking about the RXL though...that thing was always breaking down![^]

·
Registered
197 Posts
and the man with the top hat says: "ya pays ya money ya takes ya chances!"(lol)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Just keep looking man youll find one. after all i got a 95 arctic cat zr580 carb for some remote controlled cars i had. im just wondering are meaning US dollars or canadian dollars? cuz here in wisconsin i see all kinds of liquids for sale in the price range your looking at.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I'm with bob, there are a ton of nice liquid sleds in your price range. Heck a few months ago I sold my 91 Indy 500, mint condition, for $1250...so now prices are generally dropping considerabley, you should be able to find something as new as a 95 or so. There have been some great deals on ebay recently!! Search around there a bit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts