1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
ouch! doesnt look very nice..

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
That was in Detroit Lakes MN. a year ago last December or January. A friend of mine had a brand new Ford truck and enclosed trailer sitting on the bottom of the lake there. Riley

·
Registered
749 Posts
so what happened, were them all parked on the edge of a lake and it broke through or something.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by indyman423
[br]so what happened, were them all parked on the edge of a lake and it broke through or something.
no, someone came by with a ice chain saw and cut all around the trailers. I can't believe no one heard the chain saw and moved their trailer.

·
Super Moderator
11,293 Posts
thats gotta suck..

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
What chainsaw!!?

Yeah, it happened here in MN last year. The ice wasn't very thick due to a warm winter, the ice was good for snowmobiles, but not trailers. There was barely any room near the road to park thier race trailers, so one trailer parked on the edge of the ice. So then everybody else thinks it must be safe if he's on it, and trailers continued to park next to each other..........then later on when the races where going on, the ice gave way.
That's the way i understood it from my friends who were there.

I've heard alot things about that event, but never a chainsaw.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Maybe it was just me but I think that there might have been a hint of sarcasm in xtrem's post M.M.

·
Registered
83 Posts
actually I just read from an old newspaper article that the reason the trailers are in the water is because there was open water there before and one guy drove his trailer in and then the rest of them followed. Pretty dumb if you ask me.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Lol @ chainsaw. They just broke through. I know some of the people who's trailer went down.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Umm, no. The ice was thick enough. The trailers were there for a few hours without any problems. BUT, how I heard it....

The trailers were all nicely spaced out, to distribute the weight. Then, more people came, and parked between the trailers spaced out. This spacing was too close together, and the ice could not float the trailers when they were so close. If you saw the hi-res pics that were posted here last winter, you will see that the ice was at least 12" thick, probably closer to 18 or 24".

And btw: when you are on ice, it's not the strength of the ice holding you up. It's the fact that the ice floats on the water, and can float a certain amount of weight. When the weight on a certain mass of ice is too great, it sinks. as what happend at detroit lakes.

-Dean

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
That has got to suck, ripperd2 you are partially correct on the floating thing but you have to take into acount the strength of the Ice to disperse the weight over a larger area. If the Ice isn't strong enough to carry the point loads it doesn't matter how much it will float.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
i was there when it happened, i didnt see it happen, but i was there about 5 minnutes after it happened, it was scary

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
ice partially floats, but if u walk over a puddle with like quarter inch of ice, u will break through, a pickup can safely drive on about 5 inches of ic ei would guess, as long as its not to far from shroe, the more weight, the more pressure is on the ice, and will eventually break away, i guess sinkiing in a sense as it doesnt break right where the wheels are at, but most ppl tend to think of ice breaking instead of sinking

i heard about that on the news last year...looked like it sucked

·
Registered
762 Posts
a pickup can safely drive on only 5inches of ice? that seems crazy, but hey i guess you learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I dont drive my sled on anything less than 5"....and no one i know ever drives a truck of any sort on the ice with less than 10"

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
im saying if u drive right near the edge, i wouldnt drive out in the middle, i feel weary driving my sled on 5 inches out in the middle, i would wait for 10-15" to be in the middle with a pickup.

5" is prolly stretching it, i was just using it as an example, im not gonna be the one to test it, just a guess that 5" would support a truck if it was within like 10 feet of shore [;)]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts