Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and my girlfried were out riding last night (YIPEEEEE!!!) and we stopped on a hill in the middle of the field so i could "relieve" myself. I heard some more sleds coming so i hurryied up. sat down and looked at the great site with my girl. (we were on two sleds) then the first rider came over the top of the hill at full speed!!! he almost hit her!!! he missed by like 3 ft. this was not a major trail. unmarked. the other 4 missed her. Then he had the nerve to come back and tell me "next time you hear sleds comin' you should have your lights on so they can see you". I just through my hands up in the air and said slow down and "pushed the air with my hand" like saying whatever or go away. and he left. and they all flew away like jets. We seen them all drinking at the bar i was at about 30 mins earlier and they said they were going somewhere else for another pitcher. After he left, i turned my sled around and looked at what he saw (with here still there) full throttle and i could see her from about 40 yds away. Who do you all think was right and who was wrong.

1992 arctic cat jag deluxe
1996 ZRT 600

·
Registered
586 Posts
Well, I must admit, when we're stopped and hear sleds approaching someone in the group(usually me) will start their sled so that the incoming machines know someone is there.Then they have time to get slowed down a bit before they get too us.Of course if it's daytime this doesn't have as much of an effect.On the other hand, if I was the guy who almost took out your girlfriend, I would have turned arount to appologize instead of trying to lay the blame on you.Anyhow thank god it was just a close call instead of a horror story!And we all know getting soused and riding is not cool!

Once in awhile you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I agree they were sort of jerks but when I hear sleds coming real fast I would say moving your sled to say the side of the field or firing it up for lights is good. I don't really know we never ride at night. That is when all the drunks come out and do stupid stuff. But whenever we stop we stop at the side of a field or trail to stay out of hte way anyway.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I agree also, dumb drunks likely and sooner or later they will piss on the wrong guy who won't be as nice and walk away like you did.

On another note, on non marked trails at night, I carry additional lighting in the form of glow sticks or flashlights so that if my machine is off and I hear sleds coming, I use the light to signal the riders that I am there. This has worked on the few ocasions I have needed it.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I think all sleds should come standard with those flashers they sell in the magazines. Blades have them on there stock. The ones that flash a little yellow light like hazard lights. I don't know why it isn't a standard feature on all sleds. It REALLY should be.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'd have to argue both were in the wrong. Them for drinking/speeding and you for no light and not as far off the trail as you could have been (especially if you were taking a leak)

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
-----------------------------
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I agree with both of you if you hear sleds turn on one machine so they can see you. but I would have followed them to the next bar and called the cops and see if the cops could DUI them. I will not tolerate drunk sledding, and will tell people i am with not to drink save it for the hotel. we are underattack by the epa and dont need MADD or other reasons for having our trails closed. we all have the right to ride hard and fast if we want but a lot of responsibilty comes with that. its just like studs some jack asses have to spin at all road crossings private land and parking lots and now it cost all of us a ticket every year. that sucks and pisses me off.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I won't lie if you offer me a beer I would take it. If I were hanging out with friends or just kicking back. But if I knew I had to drive somewhere or was gonna go snowmobiling I would not drink. Drinking and sledding just plain do not mix. I will never mix them. It is too dangerous. I would truthfully like to die doing what i love aka riding a motorcycle or sled but I would never ever want to hurt others. Well wouldn't want to hurt myself but hey if your gonna die might as well die doing what you love!

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. I just thought that he was more wrong than me. No one should go full throttle over a hill no matter where you are. If he didn't, he would have had plenty of time to react just like everyone else did. And i had my gear all over my sled, If i would have jumped on it and moved it, I would have dumped it all in a hurry. Then i would have been upset
. Next time I will remember, watch out for the other guy. Expecially at night, when the Drunks come out. God I hate drunks, and crazy riders who think that they are the only other ones out enjoying the trails.....

1996 ZRT 600

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I just love the jerkoff who doesnt move over and slow down a little and use his hands to tell you how many are behind him. I feel guilty that I didnt move over far enough into the woods, then expect him to slow the race in his head down for one second and give me one wave of his hand. the nerve of me. I dont expect people to stop but everyone should slow down and move over. period.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
the hand signal thing is kind of dumb. Had this one ass riding a viper do something real gay to me riding last weekend. We were moving a bit hot through the trails and I guess he got pissed. Well he goes into the middle of the trail and throws his arm up like he is all pissed off. I was the last guy in our group so he did it just to me. I was doign under the trail speed limit when I passed him. But he forced me to put my ski off the trail into some powder where there could ahve easily been a rock or ditch or something. Lucky for me there wasn't. One guy in our group who is a big biker type actually tries to reach out and knock ppl off their sleds when they come wide out of a corner. He isn't the brightest bulb around. He rides a THundercat 1107.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i'm not really understanding your views of 'the hand thing'. around here it's just a precaution to let everyone know how many other sleddders are behind the first guy, then the next, the next, etc. this works great whenever i've been riding, especially on twisty trails when you may think the coast is clear. works good in the ditches too if you are closing in on an approach to jump and you want to make sure there aren't any other riders on the other side.

'99 XC SP 500
Fox shocks stickers- 15 hp
handlebar hooks/riser- 10 hp
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp
running board/edge grips- 20 hp

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
if you are riding like you should aka in control it is not neccessary. I don't ride any ditches so. Don't udnerstnad why ppl ride in ditches so much but I ride areas where there are a lto of state trails and open roads so... also some not so good riders do that then swerve a little which doens't help anyone.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
that's like saying turn signals aren't necessary- if everyone was a defensive driver, we woudn't need them- but not everyone is. any and all precautions that take little to no effort should be used imho. we ride ditches because we have little chance to ride elsewhere, trails aren't so common around my parts, plus they're really fun. nothing makes as good a 'natural' jump than an approach. what do you mean by riding open roads?

'99 XC SP 500
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
it is legal to ride on the roads is what I meant. Where I ride anyway. Well I just hear lots of stories of ppl dieing or getting hurt pretty bad riding in a ditch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:
I don't ride any ditches
[/quote]

WHAT! you dont know what you are missing, around hear in Wisconsin ( the land of no snow) it seems, the trails only opend for acupple of days days in march! all the riding was i did was pretty much in ditches it fun when its all powder and big hills with drifts on top. the trails have to have alot of snow because they all are in farm fields.
a little rough some times!!
P.S. Watch out for coulverts, they stop you veyr good!! a little to good

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Sled_Dog:
it is legal to ride on the roads is what I meant. Where I ride anyway. Well I just hear lots of stories of ppl dieing or getting hurt pretty bad riding in a ditch.

[/quote]
if they ride stupid

'99 XC SP 500
red skid plate- 10 hp
red hyfax- 5 hp

·
Registered
79 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by xc racer:
[/quote]
if they ride stupid

[/quote]

All i can say is know the ditch you are riding in! it helps alot!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sled_Dog, Anytime you want to go out ditch riding give me a call, I will lead the way if you want. Ditch riding is a blast. I actually feel safer in the ditch than on the trial. I always worry when I am on the trail that some nut is going to come around a blind corner in the woods going about 90mph and take me out. BTW they just passed a law in MN requiring any sled made or sold in MN starting the 05 model year, that it must have flashers.

I think its Snowing!!
1999 Polaris XCR 440

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i am not too sure how we all got onto this but i have never heard of ditch riding either. the only ditches i got around here is from drive way to drive way. But some are long. i have gotten stuck in plenty because i couldn't get out. Will someone please take a picture of one of these "ditches" and attach it. this is weird

1996 ZRT 600

1 - 20 of 33 Posts