Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have planned a trip to marquette michigan on dec. 27 to the 31st. We wanted to kno if they have snow or if they will get snow. We are leaving the 27th at night so we can ride thurs all day. Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
by the sounds of it, doesnt seem like they'll get much. Ive heard 2-5 with possiblility of 8 up here. But dunno when. 27th is still a week away so never know. Can always keep an eye on www.johndee.com or area code 49855 with weather.com or msn.com's weather. Or where ever ud like to check. Im crossing my fingers for snow for all of us.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm heading to Lanse on the 23rd, but don't have computer access.....hopefully the snow forecasting eggheads will be wrong again, like they are 99% of the time, and the UP will get pounded, 10 days with no snow can run up a hefty bar and gambling tab......lol

·
Registered
892 Posts
I heard today that the trails are closed until more snow arrives. We are supposed to be heading up over the 1st and we are more than likely going to cancel. It sux but what do you do?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You sit in lawn chairs drinking beer, while looking at your sleds on the grass, and prey for snow........

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even if the U.P. was to receive a foot of snow, the ground is not frozen. If you were one of the first sleds on the trails, you might have okay conditions, but more likely you would end-up riding on straight mud. Not snirt, MUD.

Many trails in the U.P. pass through swamps. Last year we were riding around the Paradise area the day after Christmas. By the time we were done that day, the front of our sleds looked like we'd been 4-wheeling.
It first needs to get cold (like teens) and stay that way for week, then fire-up the lake effect snowstorms and I would consider riding.
Also: No groomers will be out either. Clubs don't want to get those 24 ton machines stuck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
^^ ya, they had one stuck between ontonogan and silver city areas last year when we were up, what a mess that looked like!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by 91 Polaris RXL
[br]Even if the U.P. was to receive a foot of snow, the ground is not frozen. If you were one of the first sleds on the trails, you might have okay conditions, but more likely you would end-up riding on straight mud. Not snirt, MUD.

Many trails in the U.P. pass through swamps. Last year we were riding around the Paradise area the day after Christmas. By the time we were done that day, the front of our sleds looked like we'd been 4-wheeling.
It first needs to get cold (like teens) and stay that way for week, then fire-up the lake effect snowstorms and I would consider riding.
Also: No groomers will be out either. Clubs don't want to get those 24 ton machines stuck.
The ground's frozen. I was just 4 wheeling on my pond last night haha.

Its hit high 30's a couple times but the nights have been pretty cold everynight for awhile now. I can step on piles of what use to be soft dirt and its hard as a rock. Also seeing as it doesn't look like much snow coming just yet. By time it does, everything we'll be ready. Portage lake is starting to freeze over, ppl were already out ice fishing in the bay. The canal (easiest way to get to houghton from chassell) might be awhile yet though its had ice cover on it, its only like half an inch thick.

·
Registered
168 Posts
well... it started raining damn good this evening with it around 35 degrees. Just as it was picking up rain wise, radio came on with the forecast that the advisory and watches were canceled. Was replace with this.

O.CON.KMQT.HS.W.0004.000000T0000Z- 061223T2100Z/ KEWEENAW-ONTONAGON- NORTHERN HOUGHTON-BARAGA-GOGEBIC-IRON- SOUTHERN HOUGHTON- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COPPER HARBOR... ONTONAGON...HOUGHTON... HANCOCK... L'ANSE...IRONWOOD...IRON RIVER... KENTON...SIDNAW 404 PM EST FRI DEC 22 2006 /304 PM CST FRI DEC 22 2006/
...HEAVY SNOW WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST /3 PM CST/ SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MARQUETTE HAS CONTINUED A HEAVY SNOW WARNING...WHICH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST /3 PM CST/ SATURDAY.

RAIN WILL MIX WITH SNOW EARLY THIS EVENING...MAINLY IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN. THE PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO ALL SNOW DURING THE EVENING AND THE SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH THE NIGHT...WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 10 INCHES. THE GREATEST AMOUNTS WILL OCCUR ALONG THE HIGHER TERRAIN FROM WAKEFIELD TO MASS CITY. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SNOW SHOWERS ON SATURDAY...WITH ANOTHER 1 TO 4 INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE.

Unfortunatly, I don't know if it'll stay for long or not. But for me and everyone else making trips for up here, I'm really hoping it does. Cross your fingers! Atleast its a white christmas :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts