Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but maybe a crazy one?

My 54 year old father has had some back/neck/nerve issues for several years.

So I find out last night that after the most recent MRI scans last week, he has collapsed C6 & C7 discs, and cut-off blood supply to his nerves. The neurosurgeon tells my father he has to have surgery, and schedules it for Dec. 13th.

My father: "Sorry Doc, you'll have to wait until spring after the snow melts, it's riding season"[:0]

I don't think the doctor was too impressed.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Haha! That's great. I know if I were in that situation and I could bare the pain, I'd wait until AFTER riding season myself. [:D]

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
He's still got a lot of body thats healthy on him!
haha
Thats a true fanatic

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I hope ur dad feels better. I believe he is a true fanatic too.... Just make sure that his sled isn't a formula with not suspension and make sure he rides a 120cc kitty kat so he can't wreck himself lol

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That is one of the funniest things I have ever heard someone say to a doctor!!!

I wish I would have thought of that!!!

DW

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, he is most definitely a fanatic.

My parents live in Old Forge, NY snowmobile central.

My father sometimes has trouble holding a cup of coffee with his throttle hand (from the nerve damage) but it apparently is not going to stop him[:p]

...this ought to be an interesting season riding with Dad!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
That is a true fanatic. I would be honored to shake his hand. Haha. Tell him to get out and enjoy the snow when he's got it, and I wish him a quick recovery after the surgery.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I hope also that he doesn't wreck himself even more. What an awesome line .. If I was that doctor I would drop my jaw to the ground... Or knowing the doctors I go to he would be like "I do it all the time i would ride with a busted back"

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
im in the same boat too. i need shoulder surgery bad, since it like to just pop out of place all the time. has only happened a few time while riding. doc told me the operation would be in nov. with about 9-12 months of recovery and physio. told him flat out going to have to wait i have sled trips planned and riding to do and was not perpared to take this season off. while im sure i will be fine and hope to put on even more miles than last year. there will most likely be no riding for me next year.

cheers

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I love it. I told the doc that myself. He wants me to have my wrist cut open to releave the numbness I have. Told him to do it around late march. Boy was he pissed, he gave me a sob story about it.

Said that it could get worse. I told him how could it get worse it stays numb and then comes back, it's only a pinched nreve. Is'ni like it happens all the time. I have never had it happen while sledding, only while finishing crete.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Your dad sounds a lot like my dad and my friend below.

Couple of years ago my best friend had a kidney stone and the doctor couldn't schedule him in for awhile to get it out so they put a stent in so it couldn't move and told him to stay home and take it easy.

We were supposed to go up north sledding and he said it's going to hurt no matter what so let's go. All weekend he was peeing red in the snow, but he didn't quit even though I know he was suffering.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I can appreciate his priorities. I had several cortisone injections in my left elbow so I could keep sledding. Eventually, I had surgery to relieve the pain. I had the surgery in April so as to have 2/3rds of a year to recover. Two years ago I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis which means my L5 and S1 vertebra are shifted apart horizontally and I have pinched nerves, right leg numbness and a sore lower back every day of my life. Talked to a neurosurgeon, he wanted to fuse my spine. Recovery would be 12 months, 6 months in a body cast. It was fall at the time. I told him I'd get back to him. I haven't gone back since. I have a few tricks I use to help keep me riding (back brace, snowmobile jack) and to avoid surgery. I hope he has a great season.

·
Registered
893 Posts
he sounds like a definate fanatic good luck with his surgery

·
Registered
893 Posts
he sounds like a definate fanatic i wish him well with his surgery

·
Registered
737 Posts
Now thats dedication lol

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
He truly is a fantatic! Like most people said, I am sort of in the same boat. I have had a bunch of cortozone shots for my shoulder. Sledding in the winter and softball in the spring. So I have put it off too. Hope he gets through the season OK. My mother-in-law had a fractured C-2 form a car wreck and she had a long heal time. Another friend had C 5-6-7 fused because of bulging discs. She did really well with rehab etc. Wish your dad luck and be safe!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts