Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 90 indy 500 is wicked hard to steer for some reason, even when i am moving it feels like i am stopped... my 1st question is, do the inner tie rod ends go ABOVE the plate they mount to, or UNDER it? and the steering seems to be binding up on the main steering shaft that goes from the handlebars to under the engine.. if i unhook the tie rods from the steering plate, each front ski assembly moves freely as it should.. any ideas?

also, i put a set of twin pipes with stingers on it, and upped the jetting from 280's to 300's, and turned the air mix in 1/2 turn on each carb.. it seems to be a lil boggy from idle (1000-1500) to 2,000 rpm, but once it's above say 3-4k, it clears up and runs fine at 1/2-3/4 throttle.. if i nail it to full, it bogs.. too rich maybe?? i have a set of 280's, & 290's for jets.. should i throw the 290's in just to see what it does? or should i leap and go back down to the 280's? lookin for advice, just to point me in the right direction.. thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check the steering column mount under your air box. There is a grease zerk on it that can be easily over looked. The shaft can be rusty inside the mount if its not greased. I have had one rust up and soaking it with PB Blaster and working the steering did loosen things up. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not in the column.. if i take both the tie rods off the inner plate, i can move the steering with 1 finger.. i think the spindles are hanging up in the trailing arm because one of the upper spindle housing bushings is broken.. my question is: will having 3/16" toe out make it steer hard?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
No, toe shouldn't effect it much. Check the castle nut on the steering bell there and make sure it is snug, not tight.

As far as jetting you need to read your plugs, don't rely on the feel of the sled. But stock the 650's ran 260/45. With pipes they typically run between 290-310/45 or 40's.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Why did depere70 bring up 650 jetting if we're talking about a 500? I just noticed we were talking about a 500.[:I]

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Originally posted by Triple650Indy
[br]Why did depere70 bring up 650 jetting if we're talking about a 500? I just noticed we were talking about a 500.[:I]
maybe some one had 1 to many space cakes[?][B)] lol

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[br]No, toe shouldn't effect it much. Check the castle nut on the steering bell there and make sure it is snug, not tight.
is the steering bell the one that the 2 tie rods and the main tie rod attaches to? i replaced all the bolts to the tie rods, but i did not use castle nuts, i just used regular nylok nuts.. would this affect it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think nyloks are ok to use. The nut that Tripple650indy may be refering to is the large nut that holds your steering plate down. It should be snug but not so much that the plate won't pivot. You may be on to something with that spindle bushing. Are you running alot of carbide up front?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Try and loosen all you tie rod nuts. I bet the nut is pressing down on the tie rod end itself making it hard to steer. Don't ride it this way but it's a place to start. The castle nut may be a bit smaller in diameter and won't press on tie rod end.
Dman

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Originally posted by Racing666
[br]
[br]No, toe shouldn't effect it much. Check the castle nut on the steering bell there and make sure it is snug, not tight.
is the steering bell the one that the 2 tie rods and the main tie rod attaches to? i replaced all the bolts to the tie rods, but i did not use castle nuts, i just used regular nylok nuts.. would this affect it?
Yeah, that's the plate, just makes sure the nut that holds it down is snug, not very tight at all. I made this mistake on my brothers 650, he said it was the best arm workout he's ever had after 100 mi. [;)]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts