Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, a few of you nay know that I've hacked the Polaris RXL EFI.

I just borrowed a 90's AC EFI ECU, and discovered that I can hack it as well.

So I have 2 questions.

#1 - has someone already done this?

#2 - is there any interest in me completing hacking this ECU?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
what does "hacking" mean? like what did you do to the EFI?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That means reverse engineering it and modifying it.

In this case, it could allow re-programming of the EFI brain to allow performance mods to the engine that wouldn't otherwise be possible with EFI, because it would require fuel feed outside what the stock maps offer.

Here's a quick lesson in EFI.

EFI is a computer reading sensors, and comparing them to a internal reference, then feeding the pre-programmed fuel amounts for those conditions.

If you do a change to the engine (like adding pipes) that requires more fuel, the computer does not know this. So when the motor requires the extra fuel, it will not recieve it, and burn down.

In order to keep this from happening, you change the programming in the ECU to feed the correct amount of fuel.

Back when these sleds were new, manufacturers would sell a chip that was programmed with the needed info to match the pipes they sell.

Now that these sleds are old, you will have a harder time finding a matching chip to go with pipes.

Also, if you do any other mods to the engine, it might require changing the programming.. Noone ever sold a chip that matched unknown changes, so most people could not seriously modify the EFI engines.

What "hacking" would do, is allow people to make the changes to the brain as necessary, to do any mods they choose to their engines. This would open up EFI to a lot more mods than currently available.. (that is, if someone hasn't already hacked them)

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, 90's sleds only, so far.

If I could get my hands on a newer ECU I would take a look at it as well, but I don't have one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Yep, 90's sleds only, so far.

If I could get my hands on a newer ECU I would take a look at it as well, but I don't have one.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that why you just buy a fuel management system?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Teicherc said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that why you just buy a fuel management system?
For the new sleds sure, they have them for most of them. But nothing for 90's sleds... Zilch.

I have old Polaris's, so I hacked them. Then I borrowed an older AC unit and can work with that if I get enough interested people.

However, if someone let me borrow me a new ECU, I'd love to have a look and see what I could do with it. [thumb]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Teicherc said:
For the new sleds sure, they have them for most of them. But nothing for 90's sleds... Zilch.

I have old Polaris's, so I hacked them. Then I borrowed an older AC unit and can work with that if I get enough interested people.

However, if someone let me borrow me a new ECU, I'd love to have a look and see what I could do with it. [thumb]
Ok I see. Well thats awesome than

1 - 8 of 8 Posts