Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out last Sunday and every place was closed so I had not choice but to go with the cheap stuff. Actually it was nice buy some cheper stuff because the brand name oils are so darn expensive. Did not notice any difference in the way my sled ran so I was wondering what eveyone's opinion was on this kind of oil vs. name brand stuff. Are there any pros cons?? Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Chad

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The last I heard, castrol is who makes arctic cat oils anyhow, so you may have gotten the same thing and not even known it!

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
my opinion on this little debate stands the same as before. As long as the oils carry the same rating tcw-III or whatever the ratings are anymore. It doesnt matter what the heck ya run through your sled. Performance is not gained by using a specific type of oil, engine longevity MAYBE, but i wouldnt bet on it. And as intended is saying most of the time you have 2 or 3 oil companies making oil and putting it into about 50 different bottles with different names on them. Once again this is only my opinion on the subject.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
ok, heres my opinion
i dont know if it matters if u dont have efi, but if u do i would stick to ac, this way its a sure bet u wont hurt your engine. i dont know if it matters what kind of oil u use with other sleds but with artic cat i was told to stick to ac oil because i have the efi system. i know in polaris that u can run a different oil through it. this is what i would do because im not the one u would turn to if u have engine problems. THATS just my opinion

ARTIC CAT SNOWMOBILES- My Way to play

·
Registered
266 Posts
TriumphhoverU has the perfect answer on this subject!!!

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by zr580efi:

ok, heres my opinion
i dont know if it matters if u dont have efi, but if u do i would stick to ac, this way its a sure bet u wont hurt your engine. i dont know if it matters what kind of oil u use with other sleds but with artic cat i was told to stick to ac oil because i have the efi system. i know in polaris that u can run a different oil through it. this is what i would do because im not the one u would turn to if u have engine problems. THATS just my opinion

ARTIC CAT SNOWMOBILES- My Way to play

[/quote]
The way that the fuel goes into the engine has nothing to do with the oil system. With exhaust valves they want you to use different oil to keep the valves cleaner longer, but you don't have to get AC oil.

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
21 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by intendedacceleration:

The last I heard, castrol is who makes arctic cat oils anyhow, so you may have gotten the same thing and not even known it!
[/quote]

Don't think so. Last information I have read on the forums is that the new (2002) Cat APV oil is made by Amsoil. The (2001) Cat APV was junk and caused nothing but clogged exhaust valves.

Also, Truimph is right, as long as the rating is the same it doesn't make much difference. Just be careful that you can mix whatever oil your using (syn. vs. reg).
Don't base your opinion of a certain oil based on what it costs. I have been using Amsoil (regular, the Racing is a waste of money) for about 2 years, trust me it is substantially less than what Cat wants for their APV oil. I went over 2000 miles without touching my valves, and when I did they were clean and slid right out. Its all in the specifications of the oil.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
im trying to figure out why it would matter that you have b.e.f.i in the cats, and what that has to do with oil........nothing.
unless you mean the power valves on todays sleds, like triumph said as long as it meets or EXCEEDS tcw3, and your not mixing conventional with synthetic.....then i dont see how it would make any difference

1993 xlt sp 580
xtra 10 suspension

1 - 8 of 8 Posts