Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was wondering if a "snow bike" would be allowed on the snowmobiling trail systems. please tell me so i dont waste my monney on something like this. And also does anyone have this sort of setup. if so what do you think of it. Thanks
Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive exterior Machine Auto part

· Registered
2,427 Posts
You'll have to check with the enforcement agency in your state. I would think as long as you have a trail pass and behave yourself you wouldn't have any problems. In Minnesota that would pass as a snowmobile as the regulation says any vehicle that is propelled by a track and guided by skis. But it would also need the proper license of course.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brian126 said:
You'll have to check with the enforcement agency in your state. I would think as long as you have a trail pass and behave yourself you wouldn't have any problems. In Minnesota that would pass as a snowmobile as the regulation says any vehicle that is propelled by a track and guided by skis. But it would also need the proper license of course.
ya i would hopefully be able to register it

1,810 Posts
fazr480 said:
Hi i was wondering if a "snow bike" would be allowed on the snowmobiling trail systems. please tell me so i dont waste my monney on something like this. And also does anyone have this sort of setup. if so what do you think of it. Thanks
Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive exterior Machine Auto part
They've been trying to sell these types of vehicles ever since the late '70's or so. I rember the ad for one in a snowmobile mag, I think it was a Chrysler Snow Runner :

http://www.antiquewhs.com/2006/2006007.htm

All these years later I never seen ANYONE riding one or even IN their possession.

Only down side I see is might be hard to ride in deep snow.
Personally, I try to stay away from buying on whims - doing so (for me) usually turns out to be money wasters. My advice , think seriously before the plunge to make sure you really want it.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Those are more for powder riding, not trail riding. If you lean like on a real dirtbike, you'll only be on the edge of the track, and get dumped on your ass. A lot. Especially if you ever hit a bald spot or ice.

They are more of a novelty item than functional.

· Registered
708 Posts
That thing looks cool but might be about it. I would try to ride one before buying my own. Doesnt seem like it would be good in pow, looks like it doesnt even have a 1" lug on it, makes me thing it would be more for packed/groomed trails... Let us know if you get one! Why now get a snowhawk?

· Registered
837 Posts
if i were to get a dirtbike style tracked vehicle, it would be the snowhawk. unless you can get that for about $1000-$2000. and even if you are on the edge of the track when turning, it shouldnt be much different from carving with a regular sled.

· Registered
4,855 Posts
Your weight will be centered too high for a hard pack trail. Like said above, you would wash out when you try to lean in corners or if you hit an icey patch. I'm going with the "novelty" theory above. May be fun around home or out in a field, but believe that's about it and don't think it would be worth the money and effort to get one for trail use.

· Registered
708 Posts
Is there anything on youtube about this conversion? I would like to see some vid of it in action. If the trails didnt have ice in the corners and you were riding on lots of nice packy snow I think it would be fine for 'trail conditions'. Im not saying it would be comfortable, I just dont see it doing well in lose pow with a whimpy track that on it. The snowhawk OTOH is a sweet thing and i would love to ride one!

P.S. Ever ride a dirtbike with studs on a groomed/packed trail? You have to ride with your feet out cuz your all over the place. It can be done but not very fun...

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WMarshy said:
Is there anything on youtube about this conversion? I would like to see some vid of it in action. If the trails didnt have ice in the corners and you were riding on lots of nice packy snow I think it would be fine for 'trail conditions'. Im not saying it would be comfortable, I just dont see it doing well in lose pow with a whimpy track that on it. The snowhawk OTOH is a sweet thing and i would love to ride one!

P.S. Ever ride a dirtbike with studs on a groomed/packed trail? You have to ride with your feet out cuz your all over the place. It can be done but not very fun...
there are a couple vids on youtube and they get through some deep stuff, its just an idea but if i were to get one i would want to know that i could ride it somewhere else other than round my yard

· Registered
172 Posts
I seen a guy riding one of those out in Cooke, we passed him on the trail and he was struggling big time with it. Later on we came to a big group of people sitting around watching and taking turns on it, seemed very hard to turn with. Lotta tipping over and falling off.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
You will never see video of those doing well turning on hardpack... When you lean to the side, you'll lift 95% of the track off the ground.

Those are great in weather like this where the snow is melting, or in 6" to 1' powder. While everyone else is putting away their sleds, you'd have another week or two of riding.

Groomed trails, not so much....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.