Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys in our group decided it was time to get a new sled. He had been running a 1996 Ski Doo MXZ 670. One of the most bullet proof motor ever built. This sled has been through hell and back. 10 000 miles plus. It still had 120 psi in both cylinders. The only thing replaced on it was the pull cord once or twice. In the time from when he bout it he changed plugs once because he thought it might be a good idea. The plugs were still fine but after 6 or 7 years he thought itd be a good idea. The only reason he decided to get a new sled was this past season the sled had its first problem. We were on lake Namakogen up in the Clam Lake area and the sled locked up a few times, and the sled was missing coolant. No puddles, so we replaced the seals below the Juggs and between the head, and then the thermostat seal. This was all at a cabin with no electricity, and just the tools we had with us for the trip. Both juggs come off separately and both pistons were in good shape. Once it was back together it ran just fine, a little bit of damage do to burning the coolant in the combustion chamber. So a little bit of oil added to the gas helped. After the first incident with his sled after 14 years he decided it was time for a new one. So we all went to the spring Ski Doo sale, and we figured he would get a 600 or 800 Etec. Well he decided on the ACE 600. The guys at the show said that the power was less of a regular 600 (two stroke). Our friend was not deterred by this, He decided that the mileage was important and that giving a 4 stroke a try was a good idea. So it is being built this summer, he is getting it red and black. So were all looking forward to riding this sled, since the newest sled in our group is an 01 Ski Doo 500 touring, and an 03 F7.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
600 ACE=60HP

670=120HP

He might be a little disappointed when he cracks the throttle.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
It's gonna pretty much be the equivelent to a 440 fan, with better fuel economy in terms of top end. I agree with rmk-king he is probably going to miss double the power, I know I would.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
That motor is worthless to anyone who wants to have fun. I would say that it's only practical use is a work sled or maybe a touring...

·
Registered
29 Posts
it is a perfect motor for soemone who loves just cruising down the trail..i know if i went from my etec to the ace i would miss the 120 hp

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what were all thinking, he went from the bullet proof 670, which is a pretty fast sled for its time to this. He is getting older though, and has been lots of cruising in the Keweenaw and has land in Kneesevill Wi, which is mainly just boring fields all day. Does the old 670 really have 120? Its always been one of the faster sleds in our group, and how is the etec? 6 mileage wise?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
That 670 was putting out 120 HP. I would tell him to try to cancel and get a e-tec

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Dragon700 said:
That 670 was putting out 120 HP. I would tell him to try to cancel and get a e-tec
I wouldn't say that. If he's getting older it could be the right sled. He said that milage was important to him. If he's just going to be cruising along trails then the e-tec is impractical. For you and me it would be a sick sled.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah we l see what happens for the longer trips like doing the loop of Keweena again the mileage would be good, He isnt getting rid of the 670 though, so if hes not satisfied he can always hop back on the old rig. What kinda mileage do you guys get with the 600 etecs? Ive heard everything from 18 to 22

1 - 10 of 10 Posts