Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Im a big guy... 6'2 285lbs. My 1998 XC700 which I bought used rode horribly last year on very rough trails. I was constantly on and off the seat. Im thinking there was some issues with the shocks, freezing up etc. I doubt they ever been rebuilt. Im going to take them out this weekend adn get them sent in.

But I thought I remember seeing pieces to gain a bit more clearance by dropping the rear of the skid, or raising the tunnel up which ever way ya look at it.

do these do any good, is it just a band aid, or is it all a mental thing? My buddies all ride new sleds, mostly Apex, and several with the Apex and RTX so there is no way Im going to keep up in the rough stuff, just would not like to have them wait at EVERY stop sign for me :)

thanks

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Sorry, lowering the suspension won't do much for you, it will still have the same travel it will just be farther in the air. Couple things you may want to consider though. Revalving the shocks, this can provide either a softer or harder feel depending on the size of the orifice you go with. It sounds to me like the suspension was too stiff and you felt every mogul. Am I correct? If so I would have a larger orifice installed. This will allow the shock to absorb the shocks softer. This can however result in bottoming out the sled as well, with your size that can clearly be an issue. Also, I'd look at the blocks in the rear to adjust the springs and possibly experiment with them. One more thing to consider is a soft shock setup as I described, with a heavier torsion spring to see what kind of results you get. Just go to the dealer and ask about the heavy duty torsion springs they should have an idea of what you are talking about. Hope this helps, basically you need to experment with the setup.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Have you added bigger springs in the rear? The rear shocks are non-rebuildables so you are going to have to get new shocks.

Dropping the rear don't do much other than deep snow operation.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry it already has the big boy springs in it.

Dang I thought all of the shocks on this thing were rebuildable. Can someone help me out which ones are/arent? Is it just the front skis shocks that are rebuildable?

If I have to buy some, what would everyone suggest? I dont mind spending a few bucks on this sled but dont want to go crazy either as I probably wont have it next year. Just would like to be in comfort this year. Yes I felt everything the seat acted like the only dampening on it. That is why I thought the rear shocks were junk and maybe got froze up.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Fronts are fox. The rears(if stock) are rydefx non rebuildables. I would try to buy a set of rydefx or fox rebuildables set up for your weight.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Or a cheaper way buy the kimpex gold (I KNOW I KNOW) and put a 2 up spring on it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to a couple places online adn found the rear Ryde fx 8200s. But mention anything about weight etc...just list the replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts