Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard that the all sleds befor 97 ,had a issues withe the pto side going out cuz thers no oil line to that side.i also heard guys talking about u can add a oil line to that side with the 97 oil pump.is that true if so..how do u do it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You need a 4 line oil pump, If yours is a 38 mm carb model you need 97xc pump which is 3085441 you also need primer line 3085516 and nipple should be 7052189 (this is a standard straight primer fitting) You must split the case and drill the hole for the fitting in the rib above the pto bearing. Do it as close to the block as possible. Put the block on to mark the hole and leave just enough room to slip the hose on. You are trying to keep as much distance from the clutch as possible. Drill the hole vertical not in on an angle or it will interfere with the clutch. When it drills though if the hole has not intersected the oil slot then extend the oil slot to the hole. While it is apart clean up all oil hole chamfers. Drill the original pto oil hole to 9/32. oil pump should have .008-.016 end play. mine did not need a shim change. While it is apart have the crank straightened and install new seals. These are the part numbers I used over 10 years ago, there may be superseded numbers. If you have 34 mm carbs you need to figure out what had those and 4 lines (something 97-98). I think like 98 xlt touring or something.

Back in the day these pumps were like $175 so if this idea becomes a budget buster. You could still clean up all of the oil holes and add the oil line fitting and just squirt a little oil into the line once in a while or hook a manual primer up and hook the primer to the oil tank and give it a squirt every now and then. I think most of these die from a dry bearing rusting over the summer so squirting oil in the 4 hole at the end of the season would probably do more than anything else.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
i heard that big foot has been spotted up north, I had this friend once whos dad told us that a full tank of gas makes a sled go faster because it helps push the gas to the engine.

your sled has an oil passage inside the engine.

since you have to tear down your engine and possibly need a new oil pump then yes go ahead and do the project. the reason a pto bearing fails is because of the seal not lack of oil.
the reason so many 95 and early 96 xlt's failed was an improper press fit on the pins not because of oil issues.

·
Registered
506 Posts
madcow said:
i heard that big foot has been spotted up north, I had this friend once whos dad told us that a full tank of gas makes a sled go faster because it helps push the gas to the engine.

your sled has an oil passage inside the engine.

since you have to tear down your engine and possibly need a new oil pump then yes go ahead and do the project. the reason a pto bearing fails is because of the seal not lack of oil.
the reason so many 95 and early 96 xlt's failed was an improper press fit on the pins not because of oil issues.

So polaris added a 4th oil line and an extra bearing because they were making to much money and needed to increase cost.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My bro has a 4 line case and 4 line pump for sale.
I'm sure he'd be willing to ship....and willing to deal a bit....
I think he is selling the case with the monoblock jug too. Would make a good backup cylinders.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/rvs/1899864936.html

D

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dman said:
My bro has a 4 line case and 4 line pump for sale.
I'm sure he'd be willing to ship....and willing to deal a bit....
I think he is selling the case with the monoblock jug too. Would make a good backup cylinders.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/rvs/1899864936.html

D
You can switch the case but you also need to switch out the pto end of the crank.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
they add the 4th oil line to help add life, but it wasnt the pto bearings going bad that caused the crank issues.

·
Registered
506 Posts
madcow said:
they add the 4th oil line to help add life, but it wasnt the pto bearings going bad that caused the crank issues.
You are wrong if you think pin fit is the only trouble. They had crank fit problems but they had several other problems. The xlt was designed with 20 less HP then the 96 xcr and xlt sp. Add pipes and it gets worse. They also drilled the oil passage to small Oddly the PTO passage was the smallest passage even though it fed 2 bearings. Many of these also had significant casting flash around the oil hole (including mine which had a crank replaced under warranty with no other changes and failed a 2nd time) Changing the bearing and fixing the oil solved it. Additionally the already smaller oil hole did not have access to the outside bearing because the oiling slot did not extend to the second bearing. If an extra line is not added then the slot should be extended.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
the hp of the xlt/xlt sp/xcr pretty much stayed in the 90's hp range from model year 93 to the triumph.
when i worked at polaris they told us the big issue of the 95/96 models was the press fit. at the same time the indy 500 had a recall or warrenty notice that there was a flaw in the pto castings and they could break off.

if you had your engine apart the old trick is to open up the oil passage inside there. my xlt had pipes from day one and ran to 9k miles with no problems.
it is the same pto bearing system that had worked for many years on the older fuji engines before, by adding the 4th oil line they helped add potential life to the pto bearing, but it was not a cure. measure the oil coming out of the 4th line and you will see a majority of the oil is still from inside the crank case.

peace out yo.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ps/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html

How do I properly fix a XLT crank?
As with any 2 stroke crank, high quality bearings and proper assembly are critical to long crank life. Taking the cheap route is not a good idea when repairing a crank and it is well worth the money to have a reputable machinist repair the crank for you or simply buy a new one if you can.

Once you have a good crank to put back in, make sure the cases are good and cleaned. Debur any damage inside the cases, make sure the mating surfaces are flat and clean, and use Loctite® 515/518 to seal the halves back together. Most importantly drill out the PTO oiling hole and slightly chamfer the edges to allow more oil down to the PTO bearing. It is quite obvious that the oiling hole is restricted from the factory casting process and this is usually the main factor in bearing failure. You may want to slightly increase the oil pump setting as well and make sure to run a high quality oil like Injex®. Follow the Polaris shop manual for proper torque specs and take your time. When properly done, your newly refurbed lower end should last a long time with 7 or 8 thousand miles being well within reason.

Another option is to have the crank and cases updated to the –04 spec. Pete Nydahl [262-857-7078] not only does an excellent job of refurbing XLT cranks he also offers a case mod which allows you to use the double row PTO bearing and external oiler as well. This would be a very good and cost effective modification for those that run their sleds in extreme situations or do a lot of drag racing.
1997 XLT-SP*
Nearly all ‘97s I worked on had the older –03 engine in them and suffered the same crank failures. Late production units got the new –04 engine which fixed the problem.

The 1993/94 580cc monoblocks were extremely reliable and had very few crank failures. Most other Xtra Lite Triples were quite durable as well, unless noted above. Once properly fixed, there was no reason to worry about a repeat failure and those units I have heard of that had many repeat failures I suspect were not ever fixed properly and didn’t address the PTO oiling situation properly.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
What madcow said. When I did bearings on a seized 600 I noticed that the PTO bearing completely covered the oil hole. I carved a small channel in the case so the oil would flow between the two bearings. It's been running like a champ since.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
which models had this problem. cause i heard not all of them had this issue, and how whould i be able to see if mine is havin this problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts