Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight i did a little racing just for fun. I was easily beating my buddies Formula 3 600 by around 10-12 lengths in 660ft. Thats no surprise but when checking my max rpm after i noticed its at 8140rpm. From what ive read i wanna be around 7800-7900.

My question is would i need to put a little more weight in the primary to drop down the rpm to the sweet spot?
Last year she was doing the same thing. Sometimes she would stay at 7900 and others she would go to 8150 and then slowly come back down.

Ive done a search and still find the clutching aspect of sleds to be a bit confusing.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
were you in sticky snow conditions sometimes in wet snow rpm is alittle higher. you can pop the secondary off drop it 1 hole this use to work great on my zr takes less then 5 mins right on the trail

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Have you tried using different holes in the secondary. Each hole is usually good for 150 rpm or so.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Adding weight to your primary will bring down your max RPM and give you more pull in the mid range. What weights are in your primary clutch now?

Last year I played with my clutching a bit and by adding more weight I picked up 6-8 lengths. I went from 58g to 62g. I know the twins love to be loaded with weight.The more weight you can pull the harder your sled will pull but you will lose a little top end because of it.

Edit:
I'm guessing your dealer set your sled up for sea level when you bought your sled??

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah my sled is set up for sea level. Havent been inside my clutches yet since they scare me. Next warm day im gonna take off the secondary to have a look. Diamond drive makes me a little nervous and from reading some threads on snowest it seems these clutches are a little more difficult to work on.

Guess i need to put my fears aside and have a look at my clutching specs.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I never touched a clutch before last year and I too was scared to go at it. But hey that's how you learn and it's fun too work on your sled. Saving money is good too.[:D]

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I wouldnt be afraid to try a set of weights. other than if you go up 2 grams it might be to much? all you could do is try it. if the rpms are in the 7700 range then tighten up the secondary one hole and you should be in the sweet spot.

·
Registered
282 Posts
are you running a yel/grn spring? if so you might want to try a polaris gold,it will engage slightly lower and drop your top rpms down some

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I am by no stretch a clutch expert but here's what I do know. If you want to make minor changes in rpm you do it with the primary weights, not the spring or the secondary clutch. The tachs on sleds need to be calibrated because they are notoriously off. There was a thread on here a year or more ago about calibrating tachs.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would i even notice much gain from 2-300rpms? Or am i better off leaving well enough alone. My sled has plenty of power but seems to fall flat on top. Im probably gonna add a little more weight to the primary and see what happens.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
Originally posted by Offshore24
[br]I am by no stretch a clutch expert but here's what I do know. If you want to make minor changes in rpm you do it with the primary weights, not the spring or the secondary clutch. The tachs on sleds need to be calibrated because they are notoriously off. There was a thread on here a year or more ago about calibrating tachs.
Read the owners manual or repair manual they tell you to change the spring location on the helix before doing helix or spring changes.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
there will be a difference. will you feel it in the way that all of a sudden the sled finds 10 mph on top or you stretch your arms on take off. no but against a timing device ie radar or clock you should have some gains.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Before getting into any clutch tuning it's always a good idea to send your tach out and get it calibrated. Being 100 Rpm's off is the difference of being at peak horse power or dropping off.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Did you ever add any more weight to your primary? Results?

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been pretty busy lately. Still kinda nervous about getting knee deep into the clutches. Dont wanna miss any riding for a stupid mistake on my part. Usually takes at least 2 weeks for any part to get here and the dealer doesnt stock much. Im thinkin its a nice project to get into this summer. Ill probably end up completely stripping everything.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Really it's not much to be afraid of, and after you install heavier weights you'll need to test it out. You will need to do this on snow, grass won't give you the same results. Do you have a buddy that can do this for you? There's alot of great info on here just read up and I'm sure you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Dont be scared its just nuts and bolts its finding the right set up for the sled thats difficult, Call the guys at goodwin performance they are clutching experts and can help, Since you have some mods done your sled will run higher rpms and changing the clutch set up will help!
There number is 1-847-872-4001. hope this helps! Ps it will take less than an hour for you to put a clutch kit in the first time! After that youll be able to do it in 20 min!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts