Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just curios how i can get more power out of my ExciterII buy messing with the carb. i meen i have heard you guys talk about changing reeds and stuff but this is still all pretty new to me. im looking for some CHEEP performance mods lol...so far the cheepestmod i can do is gear down but im not to sure if i want to do that.so im trying to figure out how else i can get more HP

Sled info-
1993 Yamaha ExciterII 570 L/C 136 track with 1 inch lugs

DG pipe and some cluch work has been done to it but im not sure what....it had been done before I bought the sled.

·
Registered
581 Posts
id say getting your clutch tuned

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Carb tweeking can be a very good place to start, however you must do things little by little and always check your plugs. First what color are your plugs right now. If they are Dark brown/black then you are running rich and most likely can benefit by a Main Jet change. If they are a light tan color then i wouldnt touch it. All that being said I would guess that if you have a Pipe and Clutch kit in there that the jetting has already been set to optimal. Let us know what your plugs look like and we can help you from there.

Gearing is a much safer mod but you will sacrafice either top end or low end depending on what gearing change you make.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok well they are dark....i know the kid i bought this sled from was rideing around 900 feet higher in altatude than i was (he lives on a mountan). also i have been starting it up and letting it run (just idle) for the last couple of weeks so could it just idleing make the plugs dark?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The plugs will/could get dark from idling, Since he was in the mountains he will be jetted leaner than recommended for a lower elevation. There is less air up in the hills and therefore you need to lean your gas mixture. I would say that your jetting is probably ok since he was only 900 feet higher but to be safe find out what the stock main jets are and see how far off you are. You will want to check the plugs closely on your first ride. Right now your sled is running Fat for sure due to the warmer temps. I would see how far off stock you are, if it's close i would leave it and ride it, making sure to check your plugs. If the jets are a lot leaner I would put in jets that are closer to stock. One other factor maybe your clutching. it may be clutched for a higher elevation. You might want to check with him on that or take a look at the clutches to see what's in there.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if my machine is running lean then it is going to loose power due to not enuph fuel right?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Correct if it is lean you will loose power and your machine will most likely get a vistit from "Mr. Squeaky the Seizure King" if you run it lean for too long. Your plugs will be white instead of black if you are running lean. You want to see a Card Board color.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok once it snows i will check them after it has been run hard to see what color the plugs are.....i hope is soon !!!! :D

IF i put it up on a jack or something and ran it at about 20 mph for a few mins would the plugs change there color?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The only way to get a true read on the plug is to make a WFO (Wide F*****G Open) pass for about a mile, push the kill switch at the end of the run (note DO NOT let off the throttle till the machine is off) and then pull your plugs and see what they look like. You are trying to see what the plugs look like when using the main jet, if you let off the throttle before shutting down the machine you are then using a different circuit in the carb and it can change the way a plug looks.

Running on the stand right now wont help because of the temps.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i guess i will have to wait till there is some snow to do that......hopefully we will begetting some here in a couple weeks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts