Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating putting triple pipes on my 97 ultra. I am concerned about all the stories that I have heard regarding reliability. My sled is extremely reliable. If I add the pipes am I going to loose that reliability. It will give me a 46 hp boost!! Any one have any experience with this?? I know I have to re-jet and put in a bunch of heat deflection tape anything else?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Do it! I believe the crank problems were isolated to the XCR & XLT motors.

At a possible 46hp increase, that is very tempting. I was just looking at those same pipes in a magazine and noticed the big increase for the ultra. My XLT would have about a 17hp increase with the same pipes, still not bad. That would put me in the same hp as a new stock 600.

What pipes again?

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
Do it!! Ultras have one of the strongest bottom end motors..It will be a new sled if you pipe it, they are very restricted from the factory..Make sure to jet it and get the clutch dialed in and all of your buddys will be lookin at your tail light all day long..[;)]

·
Registered
840 Posts
XLT580/600 and XCR600s have crank problems when it comes to pipes. There are stories that Ultras can also have the same crank problems as well. Some people gets them, some dont. Since your sled is '97 - I wouldnt take a chance to go to that route. Thats up to you. WL.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
just jet real fat to start with, even keep them a little on the fat side and you will be even more safe, to many people jet down to make power, fuel is also a coolant to the piston, it take fuel to make fire, the longer the wide open pull the fatter you need to jet,

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
i also here of 96 xcr 600 sp's havin crank probs but i dont believe it cuz ultras dont n the engines are identical besides the jug size. id do it deff. i got factory xcr 600 sp triple pipes with 680 jugs. it absolutly rips.beats every 700 and easily starys with all 800's iv been with. mines not clutched tho

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
17 hp is on the low end for triple pipes for the XLT. The ones i have seen are 20-22hp. The 580's have no crank issues and the 96 and 97 XLT's are the ones with problems:
Check this link out for info.

http://www.geocities.com/schmidt92/polaris_faq.html

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Do it, The Ultra's have huge gains with tripple pipes. That motor is just waiting to take a real breath. You've been strangling it to long. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by 2000TCMC
[br]Do it, The Ultra's have huge gains with tripple pipes. That motor is just waiting to take a real breath. You've been strangling it to long. You won't be disappointed.

[}:)] I hear ya!! However I am still worried about reliability. I don't get much time to sled and if I go on a trip I don't want my sled acting up all the time. My buddy put on triple pipes,V force reeds and Thunderdome heads(i think) and we spent more time pulled over with the hood up than riding [:(!]. It became very sensitive to temps, elevations etc.... Any one have feed back on this????? WOuld just pipes affect the sleds reliability???

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
i have triple pipes on my 680 and it works very good and im not pulled over at all. id say do it you will not regret it

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
I think a tampa flow would work on that sled..Then it wont be sensitive to the weather..

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an Polaris expert close by and he said to not put them on my brothers XLT. Then again it is the 96 that so many people warn about. So I brought up the the Ultra with him and he swore alot about us young guys wanting too much out of these engines and after listening about him rant and rave about driving too fast, and trails being over crowded, he then ended with how bad traffic in The Cities was. So I came to the conclusion that he was grumpy and I wouldn't be able to help you out today.

He reminds me of Paul Sr. on American Chopper, and if you've watched the show you would know you just don't push a guy like that too much.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
putting triple pipes on cant hurt it because they created the spx wich is the same as a ultra only with triples

·
Registered
226 Posts
46 hp? Wow, that's quite a gain. Let's see, where's my piggy bank . . .
here piggy, piggy, piggy. How much will the total upgrade cost?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by kimba466
[br]46 hp? Wow, that's quite a gain. Let's see, where's my piggy bank . . .
here piggy, piggy, piggy. How much will the total upgrade cost?

$270 on ebay.. Sale ended though.. I have my eye on another set from a guy I know. He wants $300. Pretty cheap for the HP gain!!!!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you guys need to talk to riley, the hp and rpms that he is doing say a lot for the ultra. 123 mph in 1000' with his 200 lbs on it thats frikin fast

1 - 16 of 16 Posts