Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tore my carbs apart and cleaned them and put in new lines... Now I was wondering, how do you guys set your choke cables? My manual says that you need about 1/8 to 1/4 free play in the choke switch. Right now, I have my choke cables set by the adjusting screws at the carb and I have about 1/8 of free play in my switch. Will adjusting the choke cables by the screws at the carb make them even? If it does, I should be good to go...

Thanks
-Rob

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Not certain what you're refering to, but try adjusting it evenly and giving it a try...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was wanting to ask the same thing. How do you guy's go about adjusting your choke cables. I think my choke may still be on some while I'm riding. I do have some free play at the choke lever. I seem to be using more fuel than normal and sled wants to die out after it comes down to normal idle. I have mikuni round slides. I went through carbs again last week, cleaned everything, adjusted floats, everything, carbs should be good.Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I adjust mine so that when I unscrew the top of the choke cable from the carb, the begining of the treads on the cable (male end) just touch the top of the threads of the carb (female end). This makes sure that there is enough spring pressure to seal the chokes when they're closed. I do this for all three (mine's a triple) and it gives me the speced 1/8 inch free play at the choke lever. Be sure to tighten the lock nut down after you've adjusted them too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here it is by the book. 10 minutes.

Flip choke lever full off position.

Lossen locknuts on carbs.

Turn cable sleeve adjusting nut clockwise on all carbs until 1/4 inch or more play is observed at lever.

Start with mag carb to keep it simple.

Turn cable adjusting nut counterclockwise until toggle has 0 play. They rotate clockwise until 1/8 play at lever is evident. Tighten locknut.

Middle
Turn cable adjusting nut counterclockwise until toggle has 0 play. They rotate clockwise until 1/8 play at lever is evident. Tighten locknut.

PTO

done.

Freeplay is measured from the back of the lever to the top of the plastic jamb nut. It can be from 1/8 to 1/4.

If two cylinder, just don't look for middle cylinder. LOL

--------------------------------------

Lead by example, it all starts with you!

Have a great day!

Scott

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was reading this thread about adjusting the choke cables and was wondering if chokes that are out of adjustment could cause a "hard to start" situation?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, if your choke is on and one carb is getting more fuel then the other, it will be harder to start.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I just did mine the other day. cable was sticking bad. Knowing that when I start I have 1/8 inch of play. I have always removed the cables out of the carbs completely. Then by eye I adjust so that they stick out end of cable the same distance. I replace back in carbs. Check to see if the 1/8 slack is still there. If not I adjust the cable in the carbs at the top. I turn one and then the other the same amount in small increments untill I achieve the proper play in switch. This is my way and has done me fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts